friedokrie
Newly Registered

Seven Top Turnip Greens

Trying a different variety of greens this year. I'm going with the turnip-less, greens only, seven tops. I sewed the seeds on top of the ground, lightly raking them in. SO far so good, but I'm afraid I may have planted them WAY too thick. Have yall done it this way before? By the way, my first post here! https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogI ... c=postname

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Yes, many a gardener has planted it like that in the fall. Sometimes, due to time constraints and sometimes just as an experiment. It will depend in part on the germination rate of the seed you used. I had some of the seed wait and come up this fall, from last falls planting. If the germination rate is high they may be too close. One thing you can do is gently pull out some of them root and all, then use the tender tops as salad greens. If they are too thick thin them for best results, if they are too close they will grow too slowly and the results are likely to be disappointing.

friedokrie
Newly Registered

It's been about 10 days since I posted this but the greens are now up about 5-6 inches tall and thriving. The bed they are in is pretty small, probably 3x8 or so, but the bed is a solid matte of healthy looking greens... hopefully they continue growing even after this weekend forecasting temps in the low to mid 30's.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”