Thomas77
Newly Registered

Buttercup squash with no fruit

I've been gardening for 40+ yrs and this year I've planted two winter squash varieties, a Hubbard cross and Buttercup. The problem I have is the Hubbard has produced (two hills approx 8 plants) 26 squash but the buttercup (two hills approx 10 plants) has produced zero squash. Why? There were dozens of both male and female blossoms on the vines and I had no apparent insect/disease problems.
Totally perplexed.

applestar
Mod

That's interesting (though no doubt frustrating for you).

With both male and female blossoms present, one would think it should have been pollinated by own pollen, even IF this Hubbard cross had more attractive blossoms (nectar/pollen). Moreover, buttercup and Hubbard are both C.maxima and can cross pollinate eachother... Unless the Hubbard cross is not a true maxima hybrid? (Would it then have pollen that are sterile to other c.maxima?)

I guess you didn't try hand pollinating? (Even with abundant bee activity, my little patch of squash loses some potential fruits if I don't diligently hand pollinate)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Did you have any bees working the blossoms? Squash really need an insect pollinator. Odd though that the one variety produced and the other not. I would be tempted to try seed from a different company or even plant a different kind of squash. (next year). In fact planting 5 varieties of squash is a good thing............... then you end up with a wagonload.

imafan26
Mod

It would seem odd that the hubbard got pollinated but the buttercup did not. So, it does not sound like a pollinator issue. Hand pollinating should help. But if the fruits continue to fall off then, something may be going after the vines like SVB.

I had similar issues with zucchini this year. I only got four fruit. I think it was the weather with record heat and the slower start of summer that interfered.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”