royal75
Newly Registered

Bitter melon

What is the best time of the season to plant bitter melon?

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

Re: Bitter melon

I plant it like cukes - indoors a couple weeks before last frost.
Dave

royal75
Newly Registered

What do you mean by indoors? inside your house? Before last frost you mean by the end of winter? Thanks for answering me(-:

imafan26
Mod

Bitter melon is a warm season crop. It grows best when temperatures are over 70, but it is not frost tolerant. So grow it in early summer.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

Sorry I was vague, royal75. I did that at the end of my lunchbreak, and should have waited 'til I got home!

By inside, I mean in trays under lights; like the cucumbers, squash, and other cucurbits, I don't grow them indoors for long - only about 3 weeks - since they are vining plants, they take off fast. They are warm weather plants, but putting them out around the time I put eggplants out - a week after tomatoes and a week before peppers - doesn't seem to bother them. In my area this is around 5-10, and the starting indoors gives a few weeks earlier harvest.
Dave

royal75
Newly Registered

I did not understand your first answer not because you were not clear, I live in the middle East and we simply don't use the terms first frost or last frost to indicate a spacific time of season we just say early spring, early summer etc..

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”