Partho
Newly Registered

Soaking vegetable seeds in water before planting

I am about to plant some vegetable seeds (okra) and someone suggested to soak the seeds overnight or for couple of days before planting, to get it to grow quicker. I was just wondering if anybody has any good or bad experience of this.

Partho
Newly Registered

Thanks for your reply!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Especially big and hard seeds need to be soaked, but I think many seeds benefit from it. But I agree, definitely not two days. Overnight for the big, hard seeds (like moonflower vine), four hours for small seeds.

erins327

Yes, I do that. Especially the big guys like okra and beans, just because tiny carrot seeds are too had to handle wet! I think its beneficial. One time I did a small experiment and soaked some, and planted some dry. The soaked ones had a full day or two ahead of the others!

I would think a few days though would definitely ferment, or start sprouting.

imafan26
Mod

As mentioned above soaking does help with some of the harder seeds to germinate. Scarifying also helps to let the water in. Not all seeds are hard to germinate. It helps to make sure that the soil or media you are using are well dampened first and that once the seeds are planted they are not allowed to dry out or get over watered.

Coriander, morning glory, some tree seeds benefit from soaking or scarifying before planting. Other seeds need to be conditioned by chilling (many bulbs need chilling), and some will not germinate unless they have been exposed to fire like many forest trees.

Trees like sandalwood are parasitic and the seeds won't germinate and survive without a host plant.

theforgottenone1013

Only vegetable seeds I soak are peas. I presprout them prior to sowing to hasten sprouting in cool spring soil. Other large seeds like beans, squash, and melons are usually up about a week after sowing if planted in warm soil so I see no reason to soak. Haven't grown okra.

-Rodney

imafan26
Mod

Okra usually doesn't need to be soaked as long as the soil temperature is in range. It is related to hibiscus so it likes 70-80 range and does not germinate all that well in cold soils below 60 degrees F. It does like to be in full sun.

You can soak them overnite in warm water to speed germination.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I never soak seeds.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

.................. ......................... ..............................

O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”