SFloridaGardener

Lettuce turning red

I am growing lettuce for the first time and started several from a mixed seed package. I'm not 100% sure but I believe this is some type of bibb variety. I am planning on harvesting soon and I noticed some red/brown discoloration to the leaf tips. Is this normal or does it indicate the lettuce is diseased or spoiled?

https://I.imgur.com/I3TvDvc.jpg

(yes it's indoor hydroponics but I figured I'd get more help on this thread - I don't think it's anything with my hydro set up because all the other plants are doing well)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

You will get several different varieties of leaf lettuce in a mixed pack. Not to worry, lots of these lettuces have red on the tips, some spotted, etc. Leaf lettuce is harvested by taking individual leaves to prolong production and not taking the whole plant by the way.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Red leaf lettuce. I eat it quite often. The red colored leaves are very good for you. I buy mine at the health food store. It's one of my favorites. It also makes good baby greens. Mesclun mix is a popular lettuce leaf seed mix that has both green and red lettuces.

imafan26
Mod

Sometimes browning can be caused by the environment especially if it is very hot. Lettuce is a cool season crop and has problems when the temperature gets into the 80's. Tipburn is a problem in the long hot days of summer. The lettuce grows faster than its vascular system can move nutrients. Calcium becomes deficient and the tips of the leaves will brown. Some insect pest feeding and fungi can also discolor the leaves.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I suspect the red coloring is due to variety. As long as the leaves are still crisp, no worry. Enjoy!

I have had no luck here with heading types. I plant a couple different varieties of leaf lettuce. I thin them to stand one plant no closer than 8 inches. They make nice big leafy heads doing this. I do pick the whole head when harvesting. To get sustained production I plant again when the first planting is 2 inches tall.

SFloridaGardener

Thanks for the input everyone. I have heard you can do "cut and come again" with some lettuce and just harvest the outer leaves.

I've been keeping the temperature in the low 70s so I don't think it's that. I will have to look into the calcium deficiency with the hydro nutrients I'm using.

Jal_ut that is quite impressive! Hopefully I'll be that successful when I try out lettuce in the winter.

imafan26
Mod

you can cut and come again with all lettuce, but eventually the lettuce will mature and die in about 4-6 weeks from planting maybe a little longer in cooler weather.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”