jnunez918

Texas gardeners

I'm in Austin and everything I planted for summer died early on. With the extreme heat when is everyone starting fall gardens and what veggies are the best options?

imafan26
Mod

This is the list of plants I found that you can grow. Right now your temperatures are like mine. I am around 90 degrees (we even had a record high yesterday). Thanks to the storms and the moist air it feels like 100. The root crops seem to do better than the leaf ones. Beets, radish, sweet potatoes are doing o.k. Lettuce is burning bad unless they are growing in the shade but the days are getting shorter and that will help. You can start broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, and kale now. They will mature in cooler weather and they can take a little frost. I plant them out in the sun, but some of them are planted under my citrus trees where it is cooler. You can make a temporary hoop house with pvc and rebar and cover it with a light fabric for shade. I don't cover it all the way down, because it holds in heat. I just have enough to shade the plants from the mid day sun. You may have to water a couple of times a day.

July - August - September
Beets
Cauliflower
Chard
Collard Greens
Cucumbers
Mustard
Potatoes
Pumpkin
Tomatoes
October - November - December
Beets
Head and Leaf Lettuces
Radishes
Spinach
Turnips

erins327

Hello Jennifer! I believe we have talked before!

Are you planning on starting things by seed? Or buying transplants?

I can tell you my plan....
I put in Fall tomatoes last week. This is my first attempt, but so far, so good. They are already 2' tall or so and have blooms all over them. I also kept my older tomato, okra and pepper beds alive through the summer, eventho I will admit they look like sh+t. But a little rain, and a little cooler temps, and they always come back full force!

Later this month we are going on a week long vacation, so I am getting a late start on starting seeds. I would have normally gotten alot of stuff started by now. Broccoli, spinach, arugula, artichoke, and kale to name most of them. Instead, I am going to buy transplants like the lettuces and garlic after I get back on October 7th and plant. I will also start the seeds after vacation, and hopefully they can go into the garden by the beginning of November. I will directly plant seeds of beets and carrots in late October as well.

jnunez918

Definitely transplants! Last time I over seeded. Since only growing for myself I don't need too many plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”