jnunez918

Vegetable storage

I bought one of those 3-tiered baskets that u hang for onions, garlic, etc. Can it be in a window?

imafan26
Mod

Those things store better in a cool dark place, especially in a warmer zone. I have a garlic keeper and I have onions in a basket in the cooler part of the kitchen. Potatoes I keep in the refrigerator since it is cool and dark.

jnunez918

So hanging the garlic and onions in the pantry would be a better idea? :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, absolutely. In the light, your onions, potatoes etc will sprout right away.

n8young
Cool Member

Dry, cool, and dark are typically the best friends of most veggies for storage.....well, roots and onions and winter squashes I guess to be more specific......here's what I did two weeks ago....
Attachments
Paper Lantern Pepper Chains.jpg
Yellow Onion Braid.jpg
Red Onion Braid.jpg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When onions and garlic are pulled, they should be dried a while. Here in this dry climate, just dropping them on the ground in the garden for a couple of days is sufficient, then they should be picked up, the tops cut off and bagged in mesh bags. The bags are best hung in a dry place like the garage or basement. Keep the air around them. I don't think light is a big concern, but humidity certainly is. Keep them dry.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”