redneck647

Re: Bringing in forest dirt.

Thanks everyone.
I'll see what I can do.
I have another dumb question. I know clay shouldn't be worked wet. So am I correct to assume I need to wait for a dry spell before trying to mix anything into the garden?
Also to keep resources low I think I'm going to just fix a 6'x6' area for next year. Maybe try to grow the few things that did well this year in the rest just to get some use out of it but my main effort will be in the smaller area until I can get everything fixed up.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, if you own the woods, it is not going to hurt one thing to go get 3 buckets full of soil and add one to each 6x6 bed. Its yours, go for it!
I would not dig a hole to get the bucketful, but take a shovel full here and there.
Look in your yellow pages for concrete, sand and gravel. The companies that deal in these products often have good soil available. They may bring you a dump truck full for a reasonable price, or let you fill a bucket for almost nil.

redneck647

Thanks. Ive been getting some work done on it.
I have the one bed fixed up some with 3 5gal buckets worth of compost. The other 2 beds I'll try to mix a little forest dirt into and work on them more next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”