applestar
Mod

What are you harvesting? Late-Summer ~ Fall, 2015

I thought I'd start a new thread since it's already September.... :wink:

Cherry tomatoes, fall raspberries, Drangon's Tongue wax beans, cabbage, Sprite melon, Burgundy okra, green sweet peppers, red ripe Peperon de Senise sweet pepper, Myoga Japanese ginger flower buds
image.jpg

Francesco Delvillani

Fig (before) and Paw Paw (then)....September it's their ripening time :)

Stourme

I went out and took some closeups this morning.

1. Cantaloupe is almost ready
Some of them are really big and heavy. And as you can see they are ripening.

Fall beets are about 2 weeks old or so... they'll be ready before the first frost.

Honey dew ... mmm...well, might make it in time...but it'll be close.

Butternut squash is almost there... really looking forward to this. :)

I planted a row of lavender to make sure lots of bees came into the yard. And it sure worked. You can see a honey bee flying past in the lower left side of the frame.

Yellow squash still producing.

Tomatoes ripening.

Purple peppers

Green peppers

I just started a new batch of hydroponic lettuce

And last but not least I picked some flowers this morning :)

Not much, but it's all I have left this year. :(
I need to go hoe some weeds and work on de-rocking the bed... every time I go out I try to pick out a few rocks. It seems like they never end...

Stourme

applestar wrote:I thought I'd start a new thread since it's already September.... :wink:
applestar, I'm drooling over your peppers btw. Gosh those look so good! Just perfect.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Smoked and dried this week. I can't keep up with the suppers.

Almost got my years supply of dried herbs.

Kalak

I was going to photograph my 'harvest' -- one tomato the size of a marble -- but when I went into the kitchen I found someone had ate it. Suppose it saved me the shame... :oops:

There are loads of other tomatoes but all still green. Slugs got everything else.

But I did like looking at your pictures -- next year, just wait...

Line6
Newly Registered

I am so pleased with my garden this year. Our first year in this house and with a garden of this size.

We're picking tomatoes by the bushelful. Potatoes. Tons of squash and spaghetti squash out there, but I have yet to pick any. Green peppers are beautiful and monstrous, as are the hot banana peppers. Corn is now ready and delicious - it gone in late, but we're glad of that now! Onions still out there being picked as needed. Just planted some carrot seeds in the greenhouse as a bit of an experiment to see if we can get a second crop before the temps get below freezing.

applestar
Mod

Loving the pictures and descriptions.
- Amazing pictures @Stourme. Thanks about the peppers.
- I love your wagonload harvests, @jal_ut (mine are harvested in 2 gal buckets....)
- Those spices look totally yummy @rairdog.
- Will you still be able to harvest those green tomatoes @Kalak? When is first frost? Try picking when blushed and ripening in the house, go out with flashlight and hunt down those slugs!
- I think your are HOOKED @Line6! Keep us posted.

I forgot to post about the figs :D (Well, I did in the fig thread, but I wanted to mention it here, too :wink: )
image.jpg
Early harvest of Arkansas Black apples are starting to come in. These are starting to sweeten with a hint of the spicy flavors to come and can be enjoyed fresh... More so than Enterprise at this point. I counted yesterday and there are 36 AB fruits left on the espaliered tree. Maybe I should count the Enterprise apples too, though overall, Arkansas Black fruits are bigger and have less problems so it's not just about the numbers of fruits. Both cultivar's develop to full ripe in mid- to late- October -- then, they have incredibly complex and spicy flavor.
Cherry tomatoes will go on until frost. Big ones are almost over, just waiting to be eaten fresh in sandwiches or processed. Only a few left in the garden now, though some have set fruit since the weather cooled and it will be a race to see if they will mature enough before frost in mid-October.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Picked up a dehydrator yesterday to deal with excess peppers.

Now I wish it when the toms were plenty. I might make an apple run. They are all around town along the roads just going to waste. Heck, the post office has 3 trees stuffed I can help myself.

imafan26
Mod

Looks yummy. I have very little now. A couple of tomatoes from my new tomato plants, peppers: super chili, Hawaiian chili, Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion, and a couple of varieties of Thai, but nothing compared to Rairdog. I still have calamondin, the tangerines are late, some chayote. I harvested seed from the curry tree, and I picked a few sprigs of thyme and Italian parsley for my Spaghetti and meatballs.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Not to compare with @rairdog either but some nice Italian sweet peppers and a few bells right now. The hot peppers are nearly all Super Chili since I managed to sell too many jalapeno plants by mistake, months ago.

The tomatoes just might be beginning to wind down but you wouldn't know it by the buckets carried out of the garden! It's okay because I once again started and set out some tomato plants late. They are just now starting to ripen fruit. (Temps in low 40's this morning, better not freeze soon ..!)

There is almost no slug damage this year, what with the hot, dry growing season. I've had to pick nearly all well before ripening in other years, to keep them away from the slimy monsters ... not this year!

By the way, I've read about using a wok in the kitchen as a smoker. The old smoker in the backyard is looong gone - after I messed up enough batches of sausage. I'd like to smoke some sweet peppers but haven't quite found the time just yet. Have you seen the price of that stuff in the spice aisle?!

Steve

UrbanFarmerJon

Picked almost 9 lbs this morning. Got my first batch of Danver 1/2 Long carrots, purple and green peppers, 1st round of fall radishes, italian pepperoncini, a few cherry tomatoes. Threw about 2 lbs of cherry tomatoes out due to cracking and splitting. These last few 90°+ temps have made it hard to keep up. Will have beets, more carrots, spinach, Simpson Lettuce, Onions, and more Big Boy Tomatoes shortly I hope!! Almost 70lbs harvested this year!
Pickings.
Pickings.

MichaelC

Jon, where did that big sprout on the right pop up from? ;)

I've got no fall garden, but my Persian cukes are still making healthy flowers and fruits, Matt's wild cherry is quite sick but still making tomatoes, and the San Marzano tomatoes have been prodigious. So far, something like 12-15 pounds from two plants, with several pounds green fruit still the vine. It's all in the freezer for my weekly pasta sauce. I blanched, peeled, and froze over five pounds tonight, and not a single one with hidden BER! Total loss to BER was probably less than 10%, much less than I feared a month ago. Yay! :)

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Harvested some rhubarb the other day, about 10 bucks worth judging by the stalks I saw for sale in the store. I never thought I could harvest rhubarb in late summer, but it was there so I took it! Forgot to take a picture of it, but now it's too late, went into a big strawberry-rhubarb pie.

Applestar, Arkansas Black is one of the recommended varieties around here. I guess it flowers later which is good for here because so many apples are lost with late frosts in this area. What would be a good companion apple to go with it for pollination? Maybe the Enterprise you talked about? I need to get some new apple trees going.

applestar
Mod

Today's Harvest Photos
image.jpg
- Myoga, Purple Ruben basil, Burgundy okra, Little Dixie Butterpea
- Chocolate Cake pepper, Fish SuperVar but not very variegated fruit, Peppadew.
- Perhaps last Cow's Tit, Not Liguria double and single looking brown colored rather than red. Körningin der Frùhen, Northern Delight, MR x ZCMWF #5B and #4B
- Amethyst Cream, not RQM, Matt's Wild Cherry, Champagne and Petit Pomme Blanche, Sun Belle, Ildi
- Prok persimmon -- big! -- and two larger Petit Nigra figs that were soft even though they weren't fully dark colored.
- One Enterprise that was on the ground and others are Arkansas Black apples. Before and after cleaning the sooty blotch and fly speck mold.

Tea shrub is starting to bloom. If left on the plant they will turn into seed pods, but I'd rather pick and dry the fragrant blossoms to put in the tea.
image.jpg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I will set the garbage can out for pick up this morning. It is almost embarrassingly heavy with corncobs! If they wouldn't last into the next century undecayed, I just might be embarrassed to admit that they don't have a place in my compost pile.

The cucumbers are still going full on but nearly all melons have been harvested. The exception are a couple of Charentais volunteers. I left them and they have done okay. A couple of Cantaloupe are still out there and my earliest ripening, a Galia, managed one more fruit for the season which we enjoyed for dessert, yesterday :).

Peppers are ripening at a steady pace and the Super Chilies have taken up their customary place in a shallow basket on the greenhouse bench, to dry.

Steve

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Picked a bunch more peppers yesterday. Gonna dry what I can. I've already given away as many as I can to everyone who will take them. Embarrassed to say that I still haven't gotten up the courage to try the reapers (although I've shared many of them).

Pulled my green beans and picked anything that looked useable. We'd already done about 3 pretty good pickings.

And pulled about half of my mater plants out...kept all the decent looking ripening and green ones.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”