kayjay
Green Thumb

Butternut Squash

So, I've never grown it before and I guess my basic question #1 of 3 is, "does this seem normal?"

- In June: healthy plant, transplanted with minimal stress, very nice weather, no pest issues. Optimal sunlight this time of year. It's growing up a NE fence.
- July: first 2 female flowers turned black and fell off. This was long before flowering, so it's not a pollination issue. The 3rd flower took and I now have a nice squash that I'll cut off whenever the stem turns brown. I like to think I watered and fertilized evenly; the plant never wilted in the sun and looked otherwise healthy. Still awesome weather, only one heat wave, one weekend of heavy rains from which everything seemed to recover.
- late July/early Aug: subsequent female flowers all aborted the same way.
- late Aug: all of the sudden, I've got three more little squash on the way! They're the size of pears right now. The plant is dying off at the base, though. It also has mild downy mildew that I've been fighting back with milk spray.

My average last frost date is 6 weeks away. Basic question #2: What are my odds of getting more squash from the three latecomers? I'm going to let it keep growing anyway, since I can't use that space in the soil. It doesn't get enough light this time of year to be useful. OTOH, the new growth on the squash is at the top of my fence and it has sun all day.

Basic question #3: Should I prune the new vine growth to encourage fruit development? Does that actually work? Or do folks usually just prune to save space? I have no problem with letting it continue to grow along the fence. When in doubt, I usually lean toward the LITHA principle: "leave it the heck alone."

TIA! :cool:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

You started yours later, and will have an earlier frost than me, but otherwise, it's about the same. It has overtaken two sections of my garden (2 plants each of 2 varieties) and I always just redirect the vines back onto itself. I am up to 18 fully grown, but I have 3 more smaller, green ones that have formed. I figure that if any are small like that when frost time comes, I'll just cut them up and make a Thai curry with them - can't go wrong there!

kayjay
Green Thumb

Ah, cool - I didn't know you could do that. Makes total sense, I've just never heard of it before. I wonder what the texture would be like. I guess it depends on what stage it's at when picked. Oh well, totally agree that you can't go wrong doing up a curry! (ETA) Wow, I googled around and found some great ideas for immature winter squashes! :)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Funny thing - when I went out this morning to get some sunsugars to take to work to snack on, some huge squash flowers caught my eye, and they had some small squash attached to them! I found four new ones, about three inches long, and a few others I hadn't noticed that were half sized or larger, and still green. I'll have to make note of how fast those small ones grow, this late in the season.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Neat! Same situation with me. I was working the night shift two weeks ago and admittedly neglected the garden during that time. We got enough rain that I didn't even have to water. Didn't see the baby squash until I was caught up on my sleep!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”