Stourme

This years garden

Hi all,

Thought I'd share my garden for this year.

Here's my cantaloupe going up a wire trellis. Those vines have gone up about 10' now. You can see the hail damage from a storm we had a couple nights ago. Several fruit are hiding behind the leaves that will have to be bagged up soon.

Butternut squash. Lots and lots of vine...few fruit. Probably too much nitrogen in that spot.

My carrots did really well... and oh they were soooo good! :D

Fall beets are coming in. :)

There's an interesting story behind this tomato. I didn't plant this. I'm guessing a squirrel did. I've never planted this variety before. But our local nursery sells them. I did have a bunch of peanuts sprout in my raised beds from squirrels burying nuts. I saw this tomato in my flower bed and decided to leave it when it was probably 4" tall. I put a cage round it and just let it go to see what it would do.

The vines are at least 8' tall and fell over the top of the cage filled with fruit. Some of those tomatoes in there are bigger than my fist and probably approaching 1lb in weight.

It's the most healthy and beautiful tomato that I never grew. If I had known it was going to do so well, I would have taken the time to stake it up and prune it right.

My container peppers did exceptionally well this year, despite my best efforts to drown them. :>

Some of my tomatoes in self watering buckets.

I've already pulled my pumpkins for this year. I grow small 5lb sweet pie pumpkins and they seem to do well here.

Anyways, that's this years gardening effort. :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Stourme,

Warm welcome to the forum.

CONGRATULATIONS! Beautiful! :-()

Obviously not your first attempt at gardening.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Good luck!

Kalak

Thank you for sharing your garden. I loved your tomato story and I'm envious of your peppers -- I didn't get a single pepper this year (my first).

kayjay
Green Thumb

Nice! I love the volunteer tomato.

Out of my three pepper plants, two of which were in the ground, only the one in the container thrived. I'll do container peppers exclusively from now on.

applestar
Mod

Looking GREAT! :D

So, what IS the variety of the volunteer tomato? Do you know or can you find out?

Stourme

applestar wrote:Looking GREAT! :D

So, what IS the variety of the volunteer tomato? Do you know or can you find out?
I'm pretty sure they're a type of beef steak. My father in law buys from the local nursery.. he won't take starts from me... he's old set in his ways...grrr.... But the fruit are identical.

This was my tomatoes in containers from 3yrs ago.

Fantastic success... but I still had huge problems with BER..

This was my first try at hydroponics

That became this:

Everything grew perfectly. I got 24 jars of bread and butter pickles off of 3 plants. And no BER on the tomatoes at all and no disease on anything. So I'm going back to hydro. I will still use the buckets because my philosophy is if you got a place to grow, you should be growing. Don't waste grow medium.

Stourme

ElizabethB wrote:Hi Stourme,

Warm welcome to the forum.

CONGRATULATIONS! Beautiful! :-()

Obviously not your first attempt at gardening.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Good luck!
Thank you very much! I look forward to learning from you masters. :)

imafan26
Mod

Love your pictures. You certainly have figured out what works best for you.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you will share some of your tricks so that others can benefit from your experience

Stourme

Kalak wrote:Thank you for sharing your garden. I loved your tomato story and I'm envious of your peppers -- I didn't get a single pepper this year (my first).
I'm sorry to hear that Kalak.

Mine are Burpee's carnival blend sweet peppers. I totally recommend them. I'm going to buy those seeds again next season. This is my first year growing peppers. I was testing the waters so I only potted two plants.

I have six kids and we had stuffed peppers for the first time a couple weeks ago. And the kids just couldn't get enough of them. I was shocked. So as soon as I had enough peppers ready we did it again. And the kids ate em up again. My kids are picky eaters too...

So next season I'm going to put at least 7 plants on the hydro system. Those two plants produced two full meals for a family of 8 and they have at least 8+ fruit still growing on the plants again.

So kudos to Burpee for having that product.
(I won't mention that I didn't get a single germination off of Burpee's spinach this year :cry: though)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Stourme, thanks for sharing your garden. Looking great!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”