Stourme

Re: Ok to plant seeds in August? Best location for veggie ga

Susan W wrote:I understand being anxious to get this garden thing going! It is hard to see exactly what this planter is. Is it ground level or up on legs? What is soil depth?

My suggestion, and that is all, is to clean it out. After a rain or watering, pull out all the vegetation. Then look at the soil. It appears you will need to add several bags of stuff and get level up to near top (it settles over time).

Bags of stuff I use, amounts vary. Cheap top soil. Check the bag and see if it is just clay or has sand and loose. I sometimes use the cheaper potting mix as a base, depending on availability. Some sort of compost. Cotton burr (not seed) is good, or I may use Natures Helper. Bagged poo. I prefer Black Kow as it has some aged poo, sand and other stuff. The sand mentioned keeps things loose and draining. If you have some worms add them in.

After this is done, and garden pretty, you could try the lettuce. At least you'd get some pretty leaves before hard frost. If your box stores still have seed racks, check for Spinach, bloomsdale often preferred, and try that.

Seeing that you'll have that pretty space, why not get some pansies or violas in Sept, and have some blooms much of the winter?! They'll go down some in extended cold, but should bounce back Feb-March.

Hope this helps

I definitely agree with Susan. This is what I would do.

But if you just want to see something grow, try your seeds. Just understand the garden spot isn't ready and don't be disappointed if your plants don't produce the garden of Eden. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”