SLC

Is this broccoli edible?

These are side shoots from Coronado Crown broccoli. They are small - maybe 1-2 inches in diameter (the pictures make it look big). For some reason, the tiny little buds are yellowish and just a few larger green buds have popped up. Some are from the same plant and some from other plants - all the side shoots are like this. I have never seen this before - especially the yellowish color.

Do you think it's good to eat? Or should I wait and let it grow more? Or just pull the plant cuz it's done?
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG (41.17 KiB) Viewed 856 times
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG (38.72 KiB) Viewed 856 times
IMG_1021.JPG

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

SLC - your Broccoli is going to flower. It is a cool weather crop and will flower early when grown in the heat of the summer.

Go ahead and harvest it even though the heads are small. Use a sharp knife to remove the flowers then cook the rest.

In your region you need to plant Broccoli starts right after the last frost. In south Louisiana we plant Broccoli in September.

Good luck

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Broccoli is EXTREMELY frost tolerant and does not like heat. I put my broccoli transplants in the ground a month BEFORE my average last frost date. They go through some frost and snow just fine and are done before it gets too hot.

SLC

I already harvested the heads about a month ago. I have been letting the side shoots come in - the pics are of side shoots, but I have never grown this type of broccoli before, therefore, I have never seen side shoots like these before, which is why I am wondering if they are still edible.

The Coronado Crown is supposed to be heat tolerant.

applestar
Mod

I would harvest the top two and eat. The bottom one might grow a little more.

The test would be if they are bitter and not as sweet/mild.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”