JohnnyB60

Plants stood up within seconds with just a little water

It's 107°F outside and my plants were leaning completely over except for the ones with cages and they were collapsed on the wire. I thought they were all a goner until I started watering them from the ground. I just couldn’t believe my eyes because they just started to stand up like an animal or something. I wish I wouldn’t have been in such a panic because I really would like to have videotaped it. I still can’t believe it and never seen anything like it.

I had to come it to cool off a little after running around like a crazy man, but now I got to scrape up something to shade them from the sun for the rest of the day I guess. It’s as if a hot torch were directly above and pointing right at us. :eek:

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Re: Plants stood up within seconds with just a little water

plants are like humans, they dehydrate in the heat. They need much more water in the heat, also any extra water in the air around the plants effectively lowers the temps until the water is evaporated away. Hope you found something to shade them with

imafan26
Mod

Yeah, I get that mostly with my underpotted plants. Those need to get into bigger pots. Mulching helps and the midday water does not really give them a lot of water, but it does help to cool them off. Shading should help especially in those temperatures. Midday sprinkling might have to be part of the routine until the temperatures cool down. Plants wilt as a way to cope with heat and drought, it conserves water.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

JohnnyB60

I believe today is going to be another hot one. The biggest problem is the wind is blowing hot dry air and it’s like being in a hot sunny clothes dryer. I can almost watch the water evaporate out of the dogs bowl as the wind blows over the top of it.
I'm going to have to move all my potted plants to my shaded patio, but there isn’t much I can do with the ones in the ground.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”