Ann-Marie
Newly Registered

Best time to dig up and replant lavender?

HI does anyone know when it will be best for me to dig up and re plant my lavender plant Please x

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I know nothing about lavender, but wanted to send along a tip. Almost all planting questions are highly dependent on your local climate. Include your location and zone info in your signature!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agreed, we have no way to even try to answer that without knowing where you are located and what your climate is.

It would also help, if you know what variety of lavender you have (English, French, Spanish, etc). Some varieties are much more cold hardy than others. I only grow English lavender, the most cold hardy variety. Here in my Ohio (zone 6) cold and snowy winters, I never dig it up; it stays in the ground year around.

Ann-Marie
Newly Registered

Hi thank you for replying, all I know about the lavender is that its white and is constantly coverd in bees which I'm more than happy about , I got it from my local nursery in Doncaster South Yorkshire x

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... I never heard of white lavender. I looked it up and I think that means it is most likely English Lavender (not surprising I guess since you are in the UK) maybe Lavandula angustifolia 'Alba.' This article https://everything-lavender.com/white-lavender.html has info about some of the options of what your white lavender might be. The article says the white lavender varieties are not as cold hardy as other varieties of the same species. But I think So. Yorkshire has very mild winters, about equivalent to our zone 8. So your lavender should still be completely hardy for you.

So I'm still not sure what the point of digging up and replanting it would be? What are you trying to accomplish?

If you were thinking of digging and dividing, like you might with irises, that does not work with lavender, which usually arises all from one main trunk. Lavender is usually propagated by cuttings or layering.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I'd wait until spring to dig and move. If moved now may not have a good established base before colder weather. As mentioned above, doesn't divide, just gets bigger with luck!

applestar
Mod

So glad to be reminded! I saw a giant planter with white lavender in front of a stylish cafe last summer and had wanted to grow them. If it's English lavender I should be able to grow them here. ...now to go look for seeds or plants... 8)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”