Susan W
Greener Thumb

1 potato, 2 potato, 3 potato -4

This describes my potato harvest. Anyway, got some grow bags, worked (3) loose soil/mulch type stuff, 3 kinds potatoes. Red, Yukon gold and a fingerling. All sprouted green, healthy etc. What went wrong? I got around to them 1st week May. Oopsies. Let's try next year back 1st April (frost mid April)

Just for whatever, the soil good, and re-used to other pots being done. Bags will get washed, dried, put back for next season. Remind me in March to get this together!

Gardening is a learning curve.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Have you grown potatoes in bags in previous years with any success? Although I don't personally grow them I would think a bag does not give the tubers enough room to grow.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it's less a room issue than a struggling to keep them watered enough issue in my experience.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for comments. I think there is room. Watering wasn't an issue as between rainfall and watering in between, were OK. I think timing the biggest issue. My plants kicking in when new potatoes were at the market. (that's a big clue!)
FWIW, I put a few inches of the soil mix in the bag, potato pieces, dirt to cover. As plants grew, added dirt several times.

Note to self -Next season will check with a couple of other growers and see when they plant potatoes (March-April, not May!)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”