Kalak

Red Emperor Beans -- toxic if not cooked enough?

Hello -- I'm very new to gardening, so please excuse if this is a stupid question. I've been growing lots of vegetables this summer and I've tons of Red Emperor beans. I've no idea how to cook them and I read they can be toxic if not cooked enough. How long is 'enough'? Do you have to soak them first? And the pods -- are they edible? Some of the pods are a foot long. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

applestar
Mod

Re: Red Emperor Beans -- toxic if not cooked enough?

Hmm... I grow SCARLET Emperor runner beans. Is that the same as your Red Emperor? Maybe it's a variety that is available in UK but not as much here.

As dried mature beans, I cook mine like kidney beans -- soak, drain, then cook with plenty if water until they are soft enough to poke with knife tip or mush depending on what I am making.

The pods on mine are edible when immature -- before they develop the zipper string and definitely before the hard plastic-like inner membrane develops. I just kept trying at various stages -- my kids preferred the beans to be more mature with more developed beany flavor and less of the green flavor of the pod so it made it tricky to pick at just before they got too stringy/hard.

I cook really immature pods in a little salted boiling water covered until the pods are soft and changes color but not overcooked to the point of mushiness and olive green -- a little longer than green beans. Older pods are cooked down usually in chili like meat and tomato stew. My kids don't like spicy.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Kalak

Re: Red Emperor Beans -- toxic if not cooked enough?

Thank you so much, Applestar -- that was really helpful. Hmm ... I'm beginning to think all the cooking beans need might mean they're more trouble than there're worth. The flowers alone are worth it, though -- really beautiful.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”