Susan W
Greener Thumb

What to plant & when

Nothing set in stone, or dirt, but the question is ever with us...What to plant and When.

My rule of thumb, sorta, from the bit of veggies I do and being in the middle of a farmers market, is whatever is coming on strong at the time, start for the next season. Say when spinach, lettuce, radish are strong in spring, one better be thinking summer crops (tomatoes, beans, okra, etc). Now with summer harvest upon us (tomatoes, peppers, okra beans etc) time to be planning and planting fall crops. Of course one can fit a few short season things in here and there. There's still plenty of warm weather, but days are getting shorter which makes a difference.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Boy I don't know about you folks in Memphis. Here 12 of August, we likely have 25 days till frost. Plant? Nope!

My spring garden I plant in April. Summer garden I plant in May, cukes I plant in June.

Trouble with a fall crop is that with the cool weather crops often the seed won't germinate and grow if the temps are too hot. Hey, its worth a try. Just be sure to keep the moisture on the seed bed till the plants come up. Bush green beans, spinach, radish, onions, might work. Good Luck!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

!!!!!!jal-ut!!! Of course you have a short grow season and the rest of the year......I am in awe of what you produce in the circumstances.
Here in the mid-south growing season goes on and on so it seems. Frost about 1st Nov -mid April. Anyway, my comments or thoughts mainly for those wondering WHAT to grow. Some look around and see fresh dug potatoes or okra and think it's time to plant. Uh, no!
As a side note, we see starts of kale, cabbage, broccoli, spinach etc on the shelves end Aug, 1st Sept.

applestar
Mod

We've been getting cooler nights since last week -- as low as low 60's -- so I sowed peas and beets, carrots. The peas are already up.

This week, I noticed that part of C.pepo Kakai vines had survived the SVB's (I cut off and chopped up the base of the vines, SVB's inside and all, with my pruners). The survivors have been growing back in huge swaths -- one came out between the gate fence and set fruit.

Kale, arugula, and Tatsoi are coming up where they self seeded this summer.

Since SVB's should be completely done, I decided to try sowing some quick maturing summer squash (less than 60 days). I have no idea if this will work, but I didn't get any summer squash earlier so it will be interesting to see what happens. I hedged my bets and also sowed more peas, beets, carrots, lettuce, spinach, cilantro, and parsley.... Then we had a nice soaking rain yesterday. :()

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”