6sparkpug6
Cool Member

Pumpkin maybe...

Hi everyone! So I have an issue. I have planted old pumpkin seeds for several years now, but this year, I got something different. I take care in using only the first seeds because I don't want cross pollination from my nearby plants to affect anything. However, I have an odd pumpkin this year. I noticed that the female wasn't as spherical as usual, and it was a bit more yellow as well.

So I pollinated it and waited awhile... And here it is. It looks like a spaghetti squash but the vine looked like a pumpkin squash and I've only grown bush spaghetti squash last year.
Can anyone identify this? It's turning yellower by the day!
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 788 times

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looks like some sort of a cross. Does not look like a pumpkin. Spaghetti squash cross ? Guess you can grab it small and treat it like a summer squash, or let it grow up and see? Small squash like that are pretty good fried up with some onion.

Curious, not sure if you had saved the seed from another year or bought the seed? When saving squash seed be aware that squash will cross pollinate with any other squash and gourds. The bees do the pollinating so the pollen gets moved around pretty well. If you save seeds from squash you might get anything. I had some squash come up volunteer in the bean patch and one made fruit that looks like zucchini, another had a completely different looking fruit but I just ate one and it was good.

6sparkpug6
Cool Member

Thanks for the reply! Hm I might pick it on Saturday and just see how it goes. I'm pretty sure it's not getting any bigger, so I'll test the skin next time I'm out in the garden and go from there. Hopefully it will be tasty!

What's weird is that I didn't grow spaghetti squash when I grew that pumpkin. The leaves look like pumpkin leaves, and all of the other seeds I planted are normal. It's quite odd, but at the same time, very exciting and cool!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”