jdf10986
Newly Registered

Help with Brussels Sprouts

Hello everyone,

I am new to the gardening world! I have been trying to grow brussels sprouts, and it seems like all the leaves are coated in a fine white substance (both on the top and bottom of the leaf). This can be rubbed off to show the natural green of the plant. there are also small holes in some of the leaves, furthest from the stem, that are round and vary from <0.5 cm to 1.5 cm.

What do you think is going on? I'm assuming the white substance is not normal and would love any help.

Thanks,
Josh

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

The little holes might be cabbage moth larvae or slugs.

The fine white substance could be some sort of fungus such as powdery mildew, white rust, downy mildew. I don't have much experience with plants of the cabbage so hopefully someone else will post some solutions.

If you add your location and zone to your profile, that would be helpful.

jdf10986
Newly Registered

Ok thanks. My zone is 5b, Denver Colorado

applestar
Mod

I'm wondering if you are mistaking natural waxy substance on the Brussels Sprouts leaves as something harmful?

Could you take pictures of the holes? Since they vary in size I agree it's likely to be where the cabbage eating caterpillar has hatched or have been feeding.

--tiny round individual holes -- cabbage whites most likely
--- look for tiny white/cream colored eggs individually laid and sticking up or down from leaf surface

--a whole bunch of individual holes -- cabbage moth mass hatching
--- look for yellow waxy smear egg mass

--sprinkling of same size round tiny holes could be flea beetles (tiny black bugs that jump when you try to touch them)

--larger irregular holes -- larger caterpillars... Look for frass/poop and search on leaves above top and bottom.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”