Zyclone
Newly Registered

What's better - Poultry Netting vs Deer Fence

Hi everyone,

I am having issues with a few different rodents in my yard / garden eating my plants and crops.

I have 2 garden beds that I made a PVC/chicken wire cover for and it has worked great keeping rats, bunnies and crows out.

I have other plants and small trees growing outside of the garden bed that might be under attack from rats and crows.

I am planning on making a similar PVC enclosure to keep these guys out but the chicken coup wire is pricey... I noticed there is this cheap "Deer Fence". I am wondering if someone used this to keep rats, bunnies and crows out using the "Deer Fence", or do they just chew right through it?

Chicken Wire
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-f ... /205929591

Deer Fence
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Deer-X-7-ft- ... /202871745

Or instead of using the PVC I could use a lite duty U-Post and wrap either the chicken wire or the deer fencing around it.

Lite Duty U-Post
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-ft-Lit ... /204331911

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

deer netting or bird netting (I'm not sure if there is any difference) or the plastic deer fence all work great for keeping critters out. I wrap my raised beds in them, just like yours.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

The plastic deer fencing does not work well with rabbits. They will chew through it as I have personal experiences with that. I have an 8' deer fence around the garden, then buried some chicken wire 12"-18" deep and attached the top part of the chicken wire to the deer fence with zip ties. This seems to be working so far.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I don't think rats either have any issues chewing through plastic.

My fence is 6 foot high galvanized wire and chicken wire at the base to prevent digging and small critters. Keeps just about everything out, including deer and groundhogs. (The deer could jump it, but they are too lazy in the summer with abundant food everywhere.)

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Peter1142 wrote:I don't think rats either have any issues chewing through plastic.
I wouldn't bet the mortgage on that. I supported a remote site where the rats chewed through the blue jacket on Cat5 cables. But it sounds like you have the lower part of the fence protected.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I was saying that rats would chew through plastic... sorry if it was badly worded. They are known for chewing wires and being smart when it comes to getting what they want.

Zyclone
Newly Registered

lexusnexus wrote:The plastic deer fencing does not work well with rabbits. They will chew through it as I have personal experiences with that. I have an 8' deer fence around the garden, then buried some chicken wire 12"-18" deep and attached the top part of the chicken wire to the deer fence with zip ties. This seems to be working so far.
Just for my clarification, you made a trench around the area you're protecting and buried the chicken wire and then connected it to the bottom of the plastic deer fence? Would you mind posting a picture?

HonoluluGirl

How do you harvest? I don't see a door in it. Do you lift the covering off?

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Mine has a gate. There is a brick path under the gate to prevent digging.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Here in my wild area, ground squirrels, rock squirrels, mice, and pack rats can all chew thru deer or bird netting. I have a high enclosure that is all wire, except for a piece of deer net for a ceiling. They have climbed up that high to chew though not so much recently. I would think rabbits could do the same if they could climb.

But all my guys are very desperate around here.

Zyclone
Newly Registered

HonoluluGirl wrote:How do you harvest? I don't see a door in it. Do you lift the covering off?
I screwed in 4 Galvanized Steel Tension Bands on one end of the garden bed to connect the top to the garden bed. I just open it like a lid.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-2-3 ... /204510252

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Zyclone wrote:
lexusnexus wrote:Just for my clarification, you made a trench around the area you're protecting and buried the chicken wire and then connected it to the bottom of the plastic deer fence? Would you mind posting a picture?

Sorry, it's not the best picture. Taken with my cell phone. Yes, I dug a trench, put the chicken wire down into it and attached the top of the chicken wire to the deer fence with zip ties. It was a rather unpleasant experience but worth it. It's been awhile for the fencing but I believe it is partially covered back up.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I just bent the chicken wire outwards on the ground (away from the garden) and put some mulch over it, rather than digging a trench. Just as effective IMO and far less work, if you have the room.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”