dtizme
Cool Member

How much soil over onions?

My onions look like they're thriving. I planted spanish onion sets. they have now been in the ground for a little over 2 months. A few of them are to the point now where they are starting to pop out of the ground a bit. My question is should I pack more soil onto them to bury them again to encourage them to grow larger or should they be pulled. From what I have read it says that they typically take 3 to 4 months to mature. also the tops are all still green, can't see any yellowing yet.

Allyn
Green Thumb

I'm no onion expert, but as I understand it, when the onions push the soil away, it's called "bulbing." When the onions "bulb," stop fertilizing them. Don't mound more soil on them; they're fine. Harvest them when the greens turn yellow/brown and droop over.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You don't need to do anything except water them as needed. Just let them grow. When they are done the tops fall over and start to dry up. Now they can be pulled and dried.

Of course you can take an onion to eat at any time in its development. Have fun!

UrbanFarmerJon

Here is a picture of my Golden Grande Onions from yesterday. I thinned a few out and they were quite tasty! They are normal from what I have been total to be above he ground a little.
20150808_155806.jpg
The ones I picked for my salad.
20150808_183812.jpg

dtizme
Cool Member

Thanks everyone for your input everyone. much appreciated

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

I'm very jealous of you. We can't grow those nice, big Spanish onions here as we are in the indeterminate day zone. :(

dtizme
Cool Member

Well I'll let you know how they end up come harvest time. I don't think there going to be quite what I expected but atleast I'll know for next year either way.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”