LGithens
Newly Registered

Squash bugs- zucchini Advice needed

I'm a pretty laid back gardener. If something doesn't do well one year, there always seems to something else that is outstanding. So I just concentrate on what's doing well, and hope next year will do better with what's isn't doing well.

This year I've had trouble with my zucchini. I was out one morning and had a decent looking zucchini plant, then went out in the evening and all the leaves had drooped down and it looked near death. It was a hot day, so I thought I might come back, but it hasn't. I googled zucchini pests and it looks like it might be squash bugs. There are lots of white winged bugs and I see the little clusters of eggs under some of the leaves.

So this morning I went out with soapy water and hand picked as many of the bugs I could off of the remaining zucchini plants. But I'm really finding getting the egg cluster difficult to remove without damaging the leaves. Any hints on a good way to knock them off?

Any other hints on dealing with them? I also see a black and yellow striped bug. Is this harmful?

Like I said, I normally would just let it go, but my cucumbers aren't doing well either and I wonder if they're the problem there. Plus, zucchini is the vegetable that can make a million meals, so I'm disappointed that I might not have much. I have never had the stereotypical "more zucchini than I know what to do with", so I imagine this has always been a problem, but I just realizing it.

Would Sevin bug dust help? That's about all the pest control I ever do and I haven't used any this year as I haven't seen holes in hardly any of my bean or cole crops which is when I usually pull it out.

Thanks for any tips
Lori

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

From your description I would speculate that they are squash bugs. Do you have any pictures? Also, is this your only zucchini plant? Stay away from Sevin. In the place of it try Neem oil or Pyrethrin, they are safer.

Try using a sharp edge to scare the eggs off. When they are layed they have to be firmly attached to the underside of the leaf in order to survive winds and rain. Spray the area. with an agricultural soap.

The striped bug sounds like a striped cucumber beetle. Yes, they will eat your cucumber leaves. The treatment is the same as the squash bug.

The white winged insect could be aphids. Someone with more experience with those insects needs to chime in.

If you have to remove any leaves spray the inside of the stem with BT to prevent vine borers from gaining a foot hold.

Good luck

LGithens
Newly Registered

Here's a Photo that I found online that looks like the smaller white bugs. I just thought they were younger Squash bugs.

I'm taking notes and hopefully will start next year better equipped. I have one plant that is probably close to gone, but still has a couple of small zucchinis on it and some blooms. I have a couple other plants that are still doing ok, so I'm going to start looking the plants over every day now if I can manage it.
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you find the egg clusters, just cut the piece of leaf, with the eggs on it, off and then stomp it hard to smoosh the eggs. The zucchini plant has way more leaves than it really needs and will not be bothered at all by losing a little chunk of one. The eggs could be scraped off; can't be knocked off. But really not worth the trouble of scraping.

If you water your plants thoroughly especially the base of the stem and lower leaves, the squash bugs will climb up to get away from the water and you will be able to find them easier.

Have your plants recovered from the wilting? Squash bugs can carry a wilt disease. But wilted zucchini plants can also mean the dreaded squash vine borer. Check the base of the stems. If you see something like this:

https://www.garden.org/images/App/articles/1635a.jpg

with a little pile of sawdusty looking stuff next to it, it is the borer and unless you have caught it very early on, your plant is probably toast.

If it is not the borer, but just the squash bugs, you may or may not be able to save the plant.

I agree with lexusnexus re avoiding the Sevin dust. Not only is it very environmentally harmful, but in the long run it is counter productive-- destroys all the beneficial insects that help pollinate and help control some of the "bad guys." This thread https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 11&t=57653 has some information about Sevin and its effects, if you are interested.

Neem oil sprayed over the leaves, including undersides, helps control all kinds of leaf eaters. It is not a contact poison, and only works when it is eaten, so it is pretty harmless to everything else.

But I understand the frustration. You see people writing about having so much zucchini they don't know what to do with it. Personally, I have never gotten more than one or two zucchinis before the plant is killed by squash bugs and/or vine borers. I gave up growing them. But I am considering trying again next year, using the technique described here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 28#p366028

with the Bt.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Although I didn't mention it before you could spray the leaves with Surround (kaolin clay). It puts a coat on the leaves whose texture is something insects don't like walking on. But, that's an awful lot spray to get a decent coat on them, and if it rains you have to go out and spray again. This is why I didn't mention it before. When the seedlings started popping up through the soil I applied a decent layer of diatomaceous earth and raked it in very light lightly. The diatoms rip open the soft abdomen of worms and some insects. This was done to help keep the vine borer at bay. So far I have had none but I don't know if it's just luck, or the diatomaceous earth actually worked.

Those bugs definitely look like squash bugs. Thanks for posting that pic. It really helps.

kimberlymotley
Newly Registered

My fiance is currently on my $%#& list. He apparently put Sevin dust on my garden last night. On top of obvious reasons I do not want ... be pollinated since the dust kills pollinators. Does anyone know how to remove this from my garden! please help!

ronbart

I have fought squash bugs and borers for years. Finally I discovered that if I planted a second crop in July I miss the majority of the insects because their life cycle has mostly run its course and there are a lot less to deal with. I get pretty decent crops just not as early as I would like.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree about late planting if you can. People with short growing seasons may not have time to do that. And those of us in the South have to contend with two generations of the bugs/borers. :twisted: But for some temperate climate people, the late planting may really help.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have problems with bugs killing my zucchini squash too. Squash seem to do best for me growing in full sun all day maybe the hot sun is too hot for bugs. I also plant squash from seeds, 1 seed about every 3 weeks all summer. Young squash plants seem to have less trouble with bugs than older plants. A shop vac works great for sucking away all the bugs every day. If 1 plant dies there are several more replacement plants progressive getting larger in the garden. It is also good to have only 1 plant at a time making squash what does a person do with 15 squash harvested on the same day.

imafan26
Mod

Sevin is short acting and lasts 7-14 days. You can try to cover the plant in the meantime to protect beneficials. Squash fruit can be harvested and safe to eat after 1 day. Squash flowers, I would wait longer. It is highly toxic to bees, fish, and beneficial insects. Remove flowers will keep the bees away. Cover plants to keep beneficial insects out during treatment. The ones on the plant are already goners.

Do not plant squash in the same place every year if you have pest problems. Plant later or rotate to a different family so the bugs are not given an invitation to come to the buffet every year. If you know you have problems, keep the plant under wraps and hand pollinate to try to exclude the bugs when they emerge. You have to be diligent to keep the pests out because once they get under the netting, they are hard to eliminate.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Any other hints on dealing with them? I also see a black and yellow striped bug. Is this harmful?"

Have you ever used diatomaceous earth? This is a naturally occuring substance which consists of the hard pointed shells of diatoms.
Sprinkle a bit of this on and around your plants. It is completely non-poisonous to humans, but irritates insects because if its hard pointy shape. Have fun! :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have said this before and feel like knocking on wood each time - vine borers haven't shown up in my gardens or the ones I know about, here. Maybe if I shrink the font, I'll lessen the chance for a jinx.

Often, squash and stink bugs need a one-two punch in my garden. They hide and I've even seen them racing away from a plant as I'm spraying it. Short-term bug-killers don't always work.

Pyrethrum probably stops them from escaping but some may still avoid it or wake up after not getting enuf of a dose. Spinosad will kill these beetles but must be eaten in the time that it is available and effective. Using both, about a week apart, has been successful.

Something that I've noticed when a sprinkler failed one season --- the drought-stressed plants in a row of squash suffered from an attack. The plants receiving water from a different sprinkler were fine and must have been nearly bug-free.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I believe the squash vine borers don't exist much west of the Mississippi. They are the bane of my existence here.

Things to try against them:

*grow your zukes under row cover from the beginning with cover fastened tightly to the ground. This works, but means that since pollinators can't get to them either, you have to hand pollinate.

*keep the base of the stems well buried under soil. This works for awhile especially if you are diligent about burying new stem as it appears and stem of all the branches. Keep the soil firmed up over them. This has to be redone after rain.

*treat the stems with tanglefoot. It has to be the paint on kind, not spray on. Spray on killed my plant the time I tried it. The paint on is sticky and messy and hard to use without getting your hands all sticky. Has to be redone eventually, but not every rain. Seemed to work the one time I tried it.

*treat the stems with kaolin clay. I haven't tried this one, but should work if you can get a good solid coat, you renew it after rains, and keep treating new stems.

*check the stems every day for vine borer eggs. These are difficult to spot. Unlike the squash bug eggs, they are pale and laid in ones or twos on the stem where the larva will bore in as soon as it emerges.

*grow your zukes very late in the season after the borers are gone. In the south that has to be very late, as we have two generations of the borers.

OR give up on the damn zucchinis! :evil: The years that I have been able to keep them from being destroyed by the vine borers, they have eventually succumbed to the squash bugs. The squash bugs carry a wilt disease, which eventually kills the plant, not as fast as the borers do, but still...

They are just too vulnerable and too much work to try to save. Makes me crazy when I read all the people talking about having zucchinis coming out their ears, trying to sneak them on to the neighbor's property, etc.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”