DonV
Cool Member

tomatoes & peppers shriveling

I am having a tomato plant and a few pepper plants shriveling and dying. All are in containers (proper size in theory). No issues with ones in garden. Leaves wilt to, starting at bottom, watering does not seem to help.
Attachments
temp222.JPG
temp22.jpg

imafan26
Mod

My guess uneven watering either

1. It rained a lot and the plants and fruit swelled, now everything has dried out and the fruit have shrunk. Since the skin was already stretched it looks shriveled

2. Drought stress. It has been hot and the plant is losing water faster than it is getting replaced. The plant has a net contraction and the leaves may look yellow and the edges dry and the fruit will shrink and look shriveled from water loss.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

I agree with our Hawaiian friend in that this probably a watering issue. Container gardening has its own special requirements, especially watering and fertilizing. If you water too much you get yellowing leaves and rotting roots. If you don't water enough you get shriveling plants and produce. When it's extremely hot like it is now you will have to water more often as there are no ground reserves to draw on. There is a container gardening section below where you can find people with a lot of experience.

DonV
Cool Member

I think you are right, it has been pretty dry and I have not watered much, container pepper plants are almsot all affected, but none in ground are. Tomatoes though.... odd, still could be water though. It does not recover though (not even after daily watering for a week.

imafan26
Mod

Once the skins are stretched, the individual fruit can only recover part of it, I would just pick those off so the plant can put its energy elsewhere.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”