mycatnola

growing cauliflower

iam thinking about growing some cauliflower the brand I want to grow is called snowball x I have read up on some ways to grow it I live in Oklahoma I think my zone is 6 or 7 anyway I want to start it indoors so I can have it for a fall crop I have some grow lights iam going to use the thing is iam not for sure when to start them indoors I think my fall frost date is 0ctober 15th or the 28th or the 31 iam not for sure because its different every fall and does it have to be the first fall frost or the last fall frost I am not for sure how that is said and how long does it have to stay indoors before it can go outside into the garden now the germination days are 10 to 15 and the harvest days are 65 to 70

applestar
Mod

This is getting a little close for fall cauliflower if your first average frost is mid-October. Cauliflower curd/head is more frost sensitive than broccoli, and it would have been better to start them from seeds around mid-July. You may need to consider how to protect them later on with hoops and floating covers.

Does your seed packet say what the days to maturity is? Is it 75 days or so? You need to add two more weeks for fall crop because or the shortening days.

I think if I were you, I would try both direct seeding in the garden bed and starting seeds inside. The ones outside need to be closely protected from slugs and caterpillars. You would be better off putting up insect screen/Tulle covers for them -- this could be done individually or with a wire hoop supported tunnel -- this will protect them from cabbage white butterflies, cabbageworm moths, and Stinkbugs and harlequin bugs, to name a few. Edges must be completely closed with earth staples or by burying. ...now they are vulnerable to slugs... Check frequently.

applestar
Mod

Just realized you did post the days as "harvest days" OK that might be a little better but still close.

To improve germination, soak in warm water for 4 hours then sow. Longer germination time is for early spring OUTSIDE when it's cold. Right now at around 80°F they should sprout in 2-5 days.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:You may need to consider how to protect them later on with hoops and floating covers.
Yep, brassicas (cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, collards, etc..) need to be covered or they will be decimated.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”