Majortom71
Newly Registered

Pepper plant buds dropping after flowering.

Hello,

I wanted to know what can be causing this? I've read that extreme temperatures or watering practice may cause this.
I keep my plants in the patio and right now it's summertime in south Florida which means that temperatures will be around low 90s here.
The plant in particular is a very thirsty plant and I have to water daily or else I end up seeing wilted leaves. I have read that you should not water pepper plants frequently but it seems this variety is the exception.
I did get white flies on the plant but have gotten rid of them and have been actively controlling it with insecticidal soap.

I was reading that adding epsom salt to water for plant can help this issue but wanted to ask the people here what they can recommend for me?
I do have to peppers growing at the moment but I've lost many buds and would like to have more peppers than just a couple :()

Also here are the pictures of the plant and the dropped buds after it flowered.

Plant itself:
https://s3.postimg.org/ji7jp1q5f/pepper1.jpg

Dropped buds:
https://s30.postimg.org/n17dwvijl/pepper_buds1.jpg

Thank you for your advice!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

What size pot is the pepper in, and what variety are you growing? The plant looks like it is tall, but doesn't really have many leaves, so maybe it needs to get more light.

catgrass
Green Thumb

This time of year in the deep south, peppers will stop producing, unless they are hot peppers. I usually just keep mine watered and baby them along until it starts getting cooler. I find that in the fall my peppers really take off. They are smaller than the ones I pick in the spring, but they produce dramatically!

imafan26
Mod

The pot is too small and that is why it is wilting so much. Peppers should be in 5 gallon buckets if you are going to keep them long term. They do better in the ground and live a little longer. Heat will difinitely make the buds drop but so will drought stress.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”