RedBirdGardener
Newly Registered

A beefsteak on my roma

Hi,

First time posting. I know cross pollination can happen with seeds, but I found a beefsteak tomato on my Roma plant. What gives?

Thanks!

Sean

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Hmmm, my first thought is, are you sure the plant is a Roma?

I've been asking the same question (almost ) lately: How come I have pickling cukes on my burpless hybrid plant? I think Burpees goofed up somehow, I know I didn't! :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've gotten packs of mislabeled seeds in the past. Just this year I picked up a few packets of bush beans, planted them and watched as pole beans emerged and started climbing that imaginary trellis. This is not new, and pretty frustrating when it happens with time lost once the mistake is realized and corrected.

Kay103

Pretty much what the others said, you may have been given mislabeled seeds. Sadly it happens.

Or maybe you forgot you planted both?

I did that this spring thinking that my onions were my garlic until I dug them up. Boy was I surprised!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Or are there in fact two plants in one hole?

Especially if both kinds of fruit are on one "plant".

RedBirdGardener
Newly Registered

Sorry for the delay. The seeds must have been mislabeled. I know I bought and planted seeds from "Roma" labeled package. Oh well...there's always next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”