Kay103

First Fall Garden

So I am starting my first fall garden this year, and how early should you plant your seeds?

I plan on growing lettuce, onions, beets, carrots, broccoli, and potatoes. As well as planting garlic for the spring.

Should I start some of them indoors first? I have never had much luck with lettuce, onions and broccoli but I want to give it another shot.

I am in zone 7 if that helps.

Any help and tips would be great!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

You can probably find a lot of this info on the net by simply typing in your growing zone and looking for a planting guide. Or you can wait and hope someone comes along and has the info available and willing to share.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Beets & carrots can be started outdoors from seed now. You "might" get away with some seeded broccoli now, but frankly I'd wait a little bit & just buy some seedlings from your local nursery/hardware store/big box store - they'll have them in stock shortly & ready to plant.

For lettuce you'll get the best germination noq if you start them indoors in air-conditioning & transplant as seedlings. Lettuce tends to not germinate well in warm/hot weather.

I've never grown potatoes or onions, so can't help you there.

imafan26
Mod

For garlic and onions you need to get the type for your zone.

Dixondale farms have a good information on selecting and growing onions and garlic

https://www.dixondalefarms.com/category/onion_plants

Kay103

Thanks everyone!

The lettuce tip definitely helps! I knew nothing about that!

I will have to give those a try and start it this week.

Thanks again!

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:You can probably find a lot of this info on the net by simply typing in your growing zone and looking for a planting guide.
Check with your local extension agent. If he/she doesn't have a hardcopy that person should have a link for you. If there is a Master Gardener group in your county they are an excellent source as well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”