Braddmd

Watermelons not pollinating and growing. HELP!

I have 9 plants in my backyard in 3 hills in a pretty tight space. They are very healthy with dozens of female flowers and tons of males. The problem is, every time I pollinate a female it dies. Some are growing a bit for a week, then the tiny watermelon falls off.

I keep well watered, and we are going trough a heat spell (90 degree days). I have been using liquid seaweed. Like I said the plants are all very healthy, I just can't get a watermelon to grow.

Last year I had three plants and three small but delicious watermelon.

It's early enough in the season, but I'm looking to get a few going. Maybe I should cut some vines? Some plants may have a few females. It's one giant mess I can't tell what's what.

Help please!

Braddmd

I've had about 7 unsuccessful females at this point. 5 or so I just pollinated with my fingers crossed.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am going to say, stand back and watch. Water them once a week. Are there any bees working the blossoms?

I went out and looked at mine, they have some good sized vines, but not blooming yet. We had a late start this season due to persistent rains in May. Don't know if I will get any melons? Wait and see?

Braddmd

Now we're talking.
Attachments
image.jpg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I think my same situation is due to the lack of pollinators. Will hand pollination help?

imafan26
Mod

If you hand pollinate, you should be going out early in the morning and you may have to use more than one male flower to make sure there is enough pollen on the female blossom. If you have bees you may just have to wait until the temperature cools down. Pollination declines in high heat.

Braddmd

I have two now that look like they are on their way. But I have failed to pollinate at least 10 females.

I'm noticing the two successful ones just seemed bigger and wealthier to begin with.

There are tons of bees and ants out there. So I'm wondering if they are removing the pollin or screwing things up somehow?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you have bees in the area, no need to worry about pollination. It will get done. Plants sometimes abort young fruits, don't ask me why. May have something to do with temperatures or water levels or just the overall health of the plant?
I have never attempted to hand pollinate anything. Just let the bees do the job, and I always get some harvest.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Do you have a decent flower bed nearby, or some flowers next to, or inside, your garden? Those will attract pollinators.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”