jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Late cucumbers.........

Went out and pulled more weeds. Realized I did not have any cucumbers growing. So off to the seed box. Planting cukes on July 17. Any chance?

applestar
Mod

What was the variety you usually grow? Was it Marketmore? -- those are described as approx 50 days to female flowers and 60-65 days to "maturity"

Maybe cutting it close if expected first frost is mid-Sept, but with your altitude and higher intensity light you might have a better chance of faster growth??

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The experiment is on........................

MichaelC

Our climates are quite different. But last year we didn't plant until mid-June, and I had tons of cucumbers through September. I found both Persian and Tender Green to stand up well to the heat and produce reliably.

MichaelC

Our climates are probably quite different. But last year we didn't plant until mid-June, and I had tons of cucumbers through September. This was starting with seedlings, not from seed. Our summer was very hot last year. I found both Persian and Tender Green to stand up well to the heat and produce reliably.

sunflower13

I love gardening experiments! I had a late start with my cucumbers too this year. They kept not sprouting. Finally got them going. They are a few weeks old. We shall see :). Mother Nature always throws me some curveballs. I got away with planting zucchinis around July 17th one year and got a nice amount. Our frost dates vary wildly now, anywhere from September 5th all the way to October 5th. Lately, been around the 1st of October but last year it dipped one night into freezing near Labor Day.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I just realized today that somehow, 2 of my cuke plants are actually...cantaloupe. Don't know how that happened, I think it has something to do with being an aging baby boomer...! Noticing lately I seem to be having more and more days like this! I'm like, seeing little football shaped cucumbers on there, and thinking, what strange cross breeding thing do I have going on here? These don't look like burpless hybrids. Then upon closer inspection realized the leaves didn't really even look like cuke leaves.

Trying to decide if I should take out the 2 cantaloupe plants, and try again, or just make do with less cukes this year! I have the dad burned things climbing a trellis meant for cukes.

applestar
Mod

Maybe in AZ cantaloupes are easy to grow -- here melons of all kinds get preferential treatment. :()

Cukes --bah! They don't care about a little shade, they climb anything, less prone to diseases and pests. Faster maturing, more prolific per vine.... The list goes on. :lol:

I have been trying to grow Armenian cucumber which is actually a member of melon species for years. Hopeful this year will be successful -- I have a few plants s-l-o-w-l-y growing.

Cucumbers planted to shade the SW side of the house has taken off and is at the top of the trellis already with first fruit developing at the bottom of the vine. They have been somewhat slow this year -- lots of male blossoms, waiting for female blossoms. But I've been eager to see what grows because this is saved seeds from last year's Japanese heirloom and I don't know if it got bee-crossed with an American pickling variety.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Cantaloupe is pretty easy here. These were some seeds that somehow got mixed in with the cuke seeds. But, they're not from a packet, but from cantaloupe I ate then buried the remains in the garden, so don't know what the result will be.

I could still start some more cukes I think. Frost here hasn't been til Nov. 1st in recent years, but we don't have as much light at this latitude as does northern Utah!

imafan26
Mod

Apple, I finally figured out the Armenian cucumbers. They are actually melons. I had problems growing them too. They would sprout and die. I finally figured out I have to treat them like a melon and wait until it was warmer to grow them. Unlike cukes, they don't like it when it is cooler.

applestar
Mod

EXACTLY! I've heard from members in Texas and Louisiana how EASY they are to grow and wonderfully heat tolerant.... And delicious.

So I've been trying and HAVE been treating them like melons, but stil they resist. This year, I gave them a spot IN the melon patch (albeit at the end of it -- shhh don't tell them that) and they seem to have been mollified. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”