DonV
Cool Member

Tomato leaves curling up

Starting 1-2 weeks ago, most of my tomato plants leaves started all curling up 0 all at the same time. No other signs of distress. Water/rain makes NO difference. All else looks ok but I am worried. I had a lot of cuc beetles and I am worried about wilt.

Heat is not the issue, and if I had to pick it seems like the upper leaves are worse. They rolled up, I do prune a lot - not new leaves are affected (that I notice) BUT there are very few new leaves. I have 1 plant that is not affected at all (and oddly it is a lighter green - color, same kind of plant elsewhere has been affected).

I did give them a little fertilizer around the same time this occurred - if I had to guess 1 week before. I do not think this caused it.

Thanks for all help!
Attachments
t2.jpg
t1.JPG

DonV
Cool Member

Reading more hear it has been pretty wet lately, before that was a dry spell.

DonV
Cool Member

And I did have a problem with BER the tomato leaf problem seemed to appear a few days later. FYI

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I had mine start curling and it was from too little water but I just watched a youtube video that said this could happen from too much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2U_Ptmok0w

imafan26
Mod

It looks like physiologic leaf roll. The leaves look otherwise healthy. It is usually from the heat

DonV
Cool Member

I agree with psych leaf roll but it has not been to hot, we had much hotter days and it did not happen. New leaves are definetly ok.

DonV
Cool Member

It does seem to be getting worse and it has been cool, and rain has been consistent and but not constant - maybe a little to much rain but not a lot.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Funny you should mention this about now! Mine is definitely worse every day. Starting to get worried. 3 different plants shown by the way. 3 varieties. Cherry, Big Delicious, and Rutgers. Cherry has always been bullet proof for me, but this year affected by this phenom as well. :?:
curl 3.JPG
leaf curl 2.JPG
leaf curl 2.JPG (58.8 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
leaf curl.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Apparently many kinds of environmental stress can cause leaf roll. Too much water, drought, insect and disease pressure, excessive nitrogen, herbicide damage, root damage, transplant shock or heat.

I see heat here more than anything else here. You have been getting a lot of storms so you have had periods of excessive moisture followed by drying and that can certainly stress plants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree that it does look like physiological leaf roll. The leaves roll up like that and get a bit harder/ leathery, but not spotted, yellowed, etc. What the "physiological" means in this context is that it is not a disease, just a reaction to stress/ conditions and that it does not particularly affect tomato production.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”