DonV
Cool Member

golden zuc's suddenly green?

I have grown golden zuccini before (same exact seeds last year - same package) and the same plant, until recently (I noticed it today), the zuccs were always BRIGHT yellow, from start to finish, completely. Today (cannot say when it started but very recently) I found green on young and medium aged fruits. I am pretty sure the medium age fruits did not have any green - ever, meaning what you see was yellow 2-3 days ago (if not yesterday).

I am 100% sure this is very recent - no green ever before from the same plant, same seeds etc.

All age fruits are showing green (not all but many). Never before.

Why?
Attachments
IMG_0431[1].JPG
IMG_0432[1].JPG
IMG_0433[1].JPG

DonV
Cool Member

There is a new 8 ball zuc plants nearby that started to flower recently, cross pollination? Not all fruits are like this same plant has many that are not. WEIRD.

DonV
Cool Member

There is also a cuc plant nearby, I remember that cucs can get cross pollinated with summer squash and produce yellow bitter fruits - it happened to me last year.

applestar
Mod

Even cross pollinated, characteristics won't show up in this year's fruits. They are carried by the seeds of the current year's fruits and will show up IF you were to allow them to mature and save seeds and grow them next year.

So this one with green fruits - is it possible it's a separate plant? It can be difficult to trace squash plants to the original growing plant if they are intertwined

-- there could have been a stray seed in the same packet.

OR -- and this happens to me fairly often -- there could have been a cucurbit seed in the soil that woke up and grew a volunteer plant among/between other, GOLDEN zukes that you intentionally grew there. You would not have noticed it unless it was significantly different. If you make your own compost and spread it in your garden, cucurbit and tomato volunteers are almost a sure happening.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

And sometimes a few seeds get accidentally mixed into other packets. My purchased "Neon Lights" Swiss Chard seed produced a few lettuces amongst the bunch.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

As long as they taste good, thats the most important thing. Last year I got 3 different zucchini out of one packet of Fordhook.

DonV
Cool Member

Definitely what I think it is and I swear they were always bright yellow SAME PLANT, until just now. That said I see green on most maybe I missed it. Only two plants I planted and watched grow, no sneaking in.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”