jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its coming.......

Went out and pulled about 200,000 weeds. Didn't make a dent in it. The garden is coming along in spite of it. This coming week I will get my first zucchini.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful garden. Do you sell your excess produce at a Farmer's Market or do you have to pay people to take all of the Zucchini that you produce? :>

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Wonderful as usual!

I see your corn in the background. I remembered a few weeks ago that you mentioned your corn planting date was always May 5th. Was curious if you stuck to that this year. Down here at my 5000 foot level, I was out in the garden thinking, wow, if I planted my corn today, (May 5) it would never come up. Was having a real cold snap at that time, freezing at night, cold soil. That was when my beautiful potato plants got zapped by freezing 3 times. (they still produced tho) :)

Just wondered if you made an adjustment for this year? You probably had the same cold spell there at that time.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I do sell at a Gardener's Market on Saturday.

I did plant on May 5, then we had three weeks of rain and the seed rotted in the ground. I replanted later, so we are running late about three weeks this season. Right now we are looking at a week of nice sunny weather in the upper 80s.

applestar
Mod

Rain and other unseasonable or extreme weathers seem to be playing havoc with many gardens this year, some more and with greater devastation than others.

It's daunting to think that it takes enough rain to drown gardens in the Midwest etc. other areas receiving the front end of these systems for it to rain enough here that I don't have to water as much.... In fact it's been raining and/or humid enough that I'm seeing fungal diseases I haven't seen before. So jury is still out on the outcome of my garden this season.

Good luck James, and everyone else, too. :bouncey:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Making it rain on a clear blue sky.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Looking great, JAL. Wish it were that easy to sell at the local famers markets around here. Seems they actually want you to have a real farm from whence the produce comes. Family veggie plots aren't welcome, and even if you were able to have a table allowed it's a $300 fee. Not worth it to me.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Looking great, the plants will take out most of the weeds.

Wow! That is a huge fee for a farmer's market. I have not done one but do get lots of extra's so this year I just am using my horse trailer as a farm stand and doing the honor system at the end of my driveway. I started in May when I started to many seeds and just have been adding produce to baked goods and eggs. I usually at least get one person a day that stops and I live completely off the beaten path. I just don't have time to sit at a farmers market. But I love to stop.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

sweetiepie wrote:Wow! That is a huge fee for a farmer's market.
Actually, $300 isn't all that outrageous. While I haven't checked lately, our local farmers market, which runs from the last week in April to the weekend just prior to Thanksgiving, used to charge $25 to register for the season, then an additional $10 each week to reserve the vendors weekend spot. The reason for this was that many vendors would register for the season & then not show up every week, thus leaving a spot vacant. And our farmers market does have a long waiting list for vendors. This way when vendors need or want to take a time out, their spot can be utilized by someone else. And all monies accrued for the market go towards advertising the market, maintenance, & liability insurance for the space by the town, so it's not like a profit is being reaped.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I joined the local Farmer's Market to sell my honey. I also sell veggies. The rate is $25 yearly sign on fee
then $8 per week.

imafan26
Mod

The city runs a people's market here. It travels from park to park and stays open for only one hour. It was a way for the public to get cheap fresh produce and a way for small farmers to sell their off grade produce.

More farmer's markets are popping up in communities everywhere. They are usually open for one day a week for 2-4 hours. It is very popular but you have to go early, parking is really hard to find.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:The city runs a people's market here. It travels from park to park and stays open for only one hour. It was a way for the public to get cheap fresh produce and a way for small farmers to sell their off grade produce.
That sounds great! Maybe I can talk to our Master Gardeners group here and get their thoughts. Not sure how we can structure it and what local regulations have to be met. But, you have to start somewhere. I will have lots of maters, zucchini and beans this summer and might as well see if others would like to buy them. Thanks... :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

We have several Farmer's Markets. $25 annual fee plus $10 per week whether you use the space or not. They are not limited to produce. Vendors can sell produce, canned goods, jellies and jams, cut flowers, plants, even crafts. Not a bad deal.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Our local farmer's market is not really very large. About six farmers selling fruits and veggies and a dozen more selling quite a variety of home made goods, flowers and crafts. Four hours on Saturday morning. It has been good for me selling honey and some produce.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”