kayjay
Green Thumb

Tomato Cages For Zucchini

Just wondering if anyone does this. I think I might next year, for a few reasons. One is that a few weeks ago, I was lifting a leaf on the plant and the whole thing fell over the opposite way! :shock: I'm lucky the stem didn't snap. Two, I have so little space that I'd like those leaves to grow just a liiiiiittle more upward. It's shading my swiss chard (even though that's probably a good thing). As well, I'm a fan of keeping things as off-the-ground as possible, though I have no idea how important that is for zukes.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

For as long as I can remember I have grown bush style zucchini. It still takes up space (about three feet..or a meter or so across) but stands up fairly well and like most zucchini produces like crazy. This year I have dark green and yellow varieties, one plant each, and that is plenty unless you want to grow enough for the whole neighborhood. Some leaves and fruit will be at ground level but they don't seem to mind. No cages necessary here.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

tomato cages will not stop the problem you are referring too unfortunately. I cage them so I can poly tunnel the row of summer squash so I can plant them out sooner. If anything some of the leaves bend over the rungs of the tomato cage and some snap. So, I would definitely go with the bush varieties.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I've always grown the bush varieties, but do know that many folks DO trellis the standard vining types. I imagine that large-enough/tall-enough tomato cages would work just as well.

I would think that you would have to be extra careful during training the vines upwards due to their brittle nature, & you'd also want to be sure to keep a good eye on the developing fruits to be sure they don't get so large that they break off - but then summer squashes are better fairly young anyway.

Next time around, why not plant a couple of bush types along with a couple of caged vining types & let the results decide for you?

6sparkpug6
Cool Member

A few days ago, my zucchini plants fell over due to the wind. I put a few sticks in the ground around them to prop them up, and it seemed to do the trick. :)

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I know about the zucchini taking over. Always wondered too, if one could train them upward somewhat.

It's typical for mine, (they are bush type) to get 6 feet in diameter. I find myself after a while pruning off some of they outer leaves when they start encroaching on other stuff. Doesn't seem to affect them much, I still have lots of yield. Leaves make good mulch!

I have limited space too, my entire garden is inside a high enclosure.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Thanks, all. :) I forgot to mention, yes, this IS a bush zucchini. Your run-of-the-mill "Dark Green".

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Ahhh - well then I don't think trying to train a bush variety of squash is going to work or worth the effort trying. Folks who train summer squash upwards are doing so with the standard vining types.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Whatever you use it will have to be pretty substantial. What type of cage are you thinking of? I'd think the square ones with the grid supports would be a good choice. Hadn't thought about using those circular ones because they would seem to be problematic trying to get the vines to train them around the circles. Plus, the growing stems aren't all the long.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have never trellised zucchini nor crookneck. I just plant 5 seeds in a hill and let them sprawl.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I have never trellised zucchini nor crookneck. I just plant 5 seeds in a hill and let them sprawl.
Ahhh - but not everyone lives in Utah - lol!! Many of us have space restraints - even with large gardens.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hope this pic works. Had some trouble ........... Punkin Patch

OK, I am giggling at GardeningCook. Ya, I do have the wide open spaces.

................ nope, how the heck do you post a pic in this weird software?

Third try!

kayjay
Green Thumb

I would LOVE a huge space to just let squash sprawl!

This is what I have to work with, though, in the asphalt wasteland of suburban Toronto:

I would definitely love a vining zucchini. I should shop around for some seeds over the winter for next year. The fence is the best area for getting sun all day. That pic was taken at 10:30 am. The sun moves to the left of that pic and the shade of the tree creeps toward the fence.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Is that the great pumpkin I see rising up out of the pumpkin patch...? :D

I didn't know there was such a thing as a vining zucchini, I've never seen them anywhere.

applestar
Mod

I love that picture of jal_ut! :D ...I believe he is a tall man, too. If I was in there, you may not see me. :lol:

...SVB just took down 2 of the summer squash I was growing ONLY to use up the 2008 seeds -- I had NO high expectations -- I got ONE yellow crookneck. We'll see how long the others last. After that I'm done with C. pepo types. Going to concentrate on experimenting and IDing from tasty SVB resistant alternatives like Tromboncino, maybe other C. moschata eaten as immature fruits and immature gourds like Cuccuza, luffa, etc.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”