River

What type of trellis and supports do u use

I am ahead of the game, and I have my snap pea seeds. I found the netting online. I don't want to use bamboo and I think I need 8 ft poles since I will sink those down 2 feet. I have never grown vertically except for tomatoes and I use stakes/cages.

I need simple ideas

imafan26
Mod

CRW cages. Good for tomatoes but also works for beans and peas. I do use the commercial square tomato folding cages. They open up to a 3 ft fence. I used it to fence the garden to keep the dog out and as a trellis for pole beans. A double stacking square tomato cage worked for the cucumber but did require two 8 ft stakes to keep the cages from falling over.

My friend uses pallets to make an 'A' frame trellis.

My trellis looks like a tent frame with CRW for a roof. It is a permanent structure that is 10ft x 15 ft. It has a peaked roof made with electrical conduit and the tent poles are 8 ft fence posts driven 3 ft into the ground. Squash can grow over it in summer. Otherwise, I use the space on the ground just like any other plot. I don't have much luck with single posts. Only the bindweed was good at climbing it and I don't like to prune and while I do it at work, it is too much work to tie and prune all the time.

I also use my fence.

Mauldintiger
Newly Registered

Cattle panels and t-posts work for me.
Attachments
image.jpg

kayjay
Green Thumb

Dollar store! 8) (Might not help the OP, though... they're like accordions and they need to be affixed to something)

MichaelC

I grew sugar snap peas for the first time this year. They're done now, but I found them extremely easy to trellis. You have the netting, so all you really need are side supports and a horizontal support between them. I used thin 6' bamboo stakes to make tripod on each end with a pole connecting the tripods at the top, and strung the structure with jute twine. This was supportive enough for the peas, though I am lucky to not encounter much wind in the spring or early summer. This was a bit of "proof of concept," which I like to do with vegetables before going to a bigger effort. Next year I would certainly build something a bit more robust:

imafan26
Mod

I have used trellis netting before. It is good for one season and cleanup is easy since you just cut off the netting. I used 8 foot T post and put a cross bar (tent pole) between the posts for support and to keep them from being pulled together from the weight of the vines.

Actually, the first time I used netting, I did not think it was strong enough to hold the vines. The vines actually are their own support, they just need something to climb on.

The T post is hard to pull up once it is in the ground so it is best to find a permanent location for the trellis and leave it there.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi River,

I practice SFG so I grow vertically as much as possible.

G welded re-bar into an upside down U shape. The post just fit in the inside corners of my box. For my indeterminate tomatoes I hang twine from the cross member to the ground and train the tomatoes up the twin. Yes I pop off the suckers. I plant 4 indeterminate tomatoes across the side of a box.

For cucumbers, cantaloupe and zucchini I attached hog wire to 2 uprights with zip ties. I "assist" the cantaloupe and zucchini by loosely tying them to the hog wire with strips of old stockings or t-shirts.

Since peas are very light your webbing between 2 uprights would be perfect.

I like using the re-bar and hog wire because it does not need to be replaced. It is also easy to pull out and move from one box to another for rotation (tomatoes).

My brother made elaborate frames using PVC. He ended up having to reinforce the uprights with re-bar. The weight of the plants and fruit and the heavy winds associated with our afternoon summer thunder storms caused his PVC frames to fall over. :eek:

I TOLD him to use re-bar! -wall- "Little Brothers" do not listen to their "Big Sisters". :>

Good luck

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

I plan to grow sugar snaps next year and am looking at getting this trellis:

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/tall-expan ... 87062.html

I can put it in the garden when ready to plant and remove it after harvest.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Feedlot panels are great for climbing plants. They come in a variety of sizes. Check out your local farm supply store.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Texas tomato cages (use is obvious), and looking at this for sugar snap peas for next spring:

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/tall-expan ... 87062.html

UrbanFarmerJon

Built mine out of 2x4's cut in half. Holes spaced every 3", then laced with string like a tennis racket Have 8" in the ground. So far they are doing great!
1st one made.
1st one made.
All 3 installed.
All 3 installed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”