Kosscom
Newly Registered

Tomato leaves turning yellow with brown spots

My tomato leaves are turning yellow with spots. The same thing is happening to my green beans to a much lesser extent. It is the tomato plants that are suffering the most.
I've included a picture. Can anyone tell me what it looks like? There seem to be so many different problems that can plague tomatoes that my head is spinning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Please put your location and zone in your profile so we know where you are located. It helps in answering questions. When you put it in the body of the message, people have to go back to other posts to find that information.

The spots look like bacterial spots. They are common in wet humid weather and this is the time of the year they will be at its worse. I remove the lower leaves from my tomatoes as soon as they are a couple of feet tall because it is hard to keep them from getting splashed when watering and it causes less issues not to have them around.

This is the hardest time of the year to keep tomatoes productive and healthy because of heat, humidity, pests and disease. Many people are actually picking off their last tomatoes and pulling out the plants. Variety helps, but unless you have a heat resistant variety like heatwaveII, Arkansas Traveller, a cherry tomato, or other heat resistant tomato, the flowers will drop off and production ceases until the weather cools. Most people will pull their plants. Clean up the space and amend and plant new ones for the fall in frost free zones.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Please put your location and zone in your profile so we know where you are located. It helps in answering questions. When you put it in the body of the message, people have to go back to other posts to find that information.
I SO strongly agree. In fact, I think putting at least your basic location should be a requirement for registering. It's SO difficult to provide accurate assistance to someone when they could be in Alaska or Alabama or Canada or London or India.

Kosscom
Newly Registered

I am so sorry guys. I am in Minnesota. Not sure what zone it is considered.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

I have a friend in Maple Grove. How much rain have you had lately? Unless your stems and branches show problems it might be plant stress (excessive water, temperatures hot for extensive periods, too cold, etc...). What does the bottom of the leaf show? My grape tomatoes and Cherokee purples are showing the same leaf symptoms because of the exceedingly wet months of June and July, and very hot May, and it's raining again as I write this.

It could be a fungal infection, but unless there are other symptoms like issues with stems I would think just stress. You can check with your local Master Gardeners group and/or county extension agent to see if there are any outbreaks of diseases in your area.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”