pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Garlic/shallot harvest 2015

Two days ago I harvested all of my garlic and shallots; a couple could have stayed in a little longer, but I am off this week, and it was supposed to rain last night, and more likely tonight, and almost definite Wed., so I had to do it while it was sort of dry (no rain in the last 4 days! LOL). Turns out, it didn't rain either of the last two days!

I lost most of my Metechi this last winter, I assume from the intense cold, though I thought that those, and most hardneck seeds are grown in Canada, so how could NJ be colder? The Music and Estonian Red did fine, with only about 5% loss, if that. ER could have stayed in another week or so, but they still look great. I only found 4 Metechi in the row they were in.

The shallots were 3 different types...I think! LOL The ones I know - Holland Red - had totally turned browned, and were ready to dig. The other two were things I planted from the Asian market, and one flowered, so it is a cross, and could have stayed in the ground much longer, as it was just starting to turn. The other looked almost like a French shallot variety I grew years ago, with small, long cloves, which worried me, as that one got infested with some sort of underground beetle - the only shallot of mine that this ever happened with. I looked closely, and nothing on these, so that was good. Strange though, as nothing I planted looked like these - just normal looking shallots.

Estonian Red:

Music:

Holland Red shallots:

Cross:

French cross?

Surprisingly, I have a number of heads of garlic and some shallots left from last year, so I have to use them up soon!

applestar
Mod

Very nice! I completely forgot about shallots. Mine have been neglected and are buried in weeds. So I'm not sure how they did and I hope the foliage didn't go down because if that happened I think I would never find them.... :oops:

I was thinking I need to weed that bed and dig up all of the remaining E. walking onions and garlic that should be in there. Along with weeds, the bed is being taken over by strawberries. If there are any space in between strawberry plants, I intend to squeeze in a few remaining tomato and pepper seedlings in there just to get them planted....

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Very nice. In a year or two when my garden plot gets stabilized (was a piece of lawn last year) I want to put garlic in.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I am envious. I just can not get garlic to winter well here. I have tried fall and spring planting. I can get it to grow when planted in the spring but it just doesn't winter even with mulch. I am going to try one more year and buy some different garlic but then I will have to quit. It is to expensive to plant and get no return. Again very nice.

applestar
Mod

Maybe try getting from northern suppliers like Maine Potato Lady or Fedco?

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Thank you Applestar, I will check them out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”