Gardener123
Green Thumb

Lack of sun for my tomatoes?

We have had about a month without much sun. We have also had a lot of rain. My tomato plants are huge, but the leaves are turning yellow. I have a pretty good amount of tomatoes.

The leaves are from a lack of sun?

As the tomatoes should be starting to ripen in about a week, should I be concerned?

applestar
Mod

I think it's more likely to be due to excessive moisture. You may not get fully flavored fruits -- too watered down.

Pick blushed tomatoes early to ripen "on the counter" if anticipating another heavy rain to forestall cracked/split fruits.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Well, TY, but that stinks.... storms predicted for a few days this week. I haven't had to water since late May.

applestar
Mod

I always pick tomatoes before fully ripe anyway. It's too easy for them to split or bugs to get in if allowed to ripen to soft give stage. At least this way the feuits won't get any additional water from the plant. You might end up with better tomato flavor.

The weather systems always dump most of the moisture over the Delaware R. And we don't get any, but it's been very hot, muggy, and humid and septoria has started to make the lower tomato leaves spotty and I'm even seeing some early blight signs.

So I sprayed with milk + whey solution this morning. It's been hazy all day and the heavy rain we were SUPPOSED to get starting around 2Pm never materialized, so the microbes will have a chance to settle in and get to work -- even better than had it rained at 2PM.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Have to concur that the yellowing is probably due to overwatering. Like you can control that. :lol: We are having the same problem in the DC suburbs, too much rain and not much sunlight. My grape tomato plants are definitely yellowing. My zucchini and yellow squash are growing insanely fast.

applestar
Mod

I have heard that Epsom Salt 1 tablespoon per gallon AS FOLIAR SPRAY is helpful for yellowing foliage in situations like this. It's supposed to improve nitrogen uptake. This is about the only time I would use any kind of salt based fertilizer/supplement since I usually like to use non-salt/chem organic methods.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Magnesium sulfate-aka Epsom salt. I use it regularly on all my plants. Helps with calcium and nutrient uptake in plants. Does help in "greening" them up. Foliar (sp?) spray, and water it in, too. Amounts to use are usually written on the bag/box. Yellowing can indicate lack of nitrogen, too, which can be caused by the heavy rain washing it away.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”