fourfortytwo

Leek starts took hold but never grew...why?

I put out about three or four dozen leek starts from johnnys selected seeds in early may, they took hold, they are still alive, they don't grow but they don't die either, let them stay in the ground till it starts to cool off again maybe they will take off then. Gigantic cauliflowers with no heads whatsoever after about 60 days either. I suspect the heat, even w/ shade cloth. So just let them keep going and maybe they will fruit in the fall, or tear them out and start over? Other stuff looks great. Squash are in full flower, baby lettuces of many variety are divine. Still too early to tell on the rest.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

How much rain or water have the leeks been getting? They are a rather slow growing crop, that in my experience start out fairly slowly, but if it has been hot then, they may need more water than you think. My leeks grew to a point and seem more or less stopped this year. It is very hot and dry out here, so I am increasing the water and waiting to see. They aren't harvested until late fall and here sometimes early winter. On the C-flower, if it has been very hot and they are well beyond their estimated time to maturity, then I would take them out and try again in the fall when it cools off. C-flower is a cool weather crop.

imafan26
Mod

Leeks start out slow. They take up to 4 months to mature you may have to give them more time. They like water, but they like well drained soil too.

Cauliflower and broccoli are big plants and take three months before they start to produce. The good thing is that some varieties will produce side shoots after the main head so you will get a couple of months more of side shoots to harvest.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm...... usually if things don't grow they are lacking water, sunshine, or soil fertility.

Give them a good drink twice a week and see what happens?

fourfortytwo

Its been a funny summer weatherwise. although I track the rainfall carefully and especially since the cauliflower has now shaded the soil there is is quite a bit of moisture there. If I do end up starting over with the cauliflower anything else to do with greens other than compost, do they cook down into anything remotely edible being collards cousin? I'm going to give them a light dose of 3-2-2 and plenty of water, give it a week, check again. Maybe remove some and reseed others.

imafan26
Mod

Cauliflower can be put in stir fries or if you are into Atkin's diet, you can make faux potatoes with cauliflower and it should freeze.

tracydr
Newly Registered

The greens may be bitter from heat but might not. I cook them just like collard greens.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”