Rberry1911
Newly Registered

Pumpkin help!

Hi I'm trying to grow a dill atlantic giant pumpkin. The problem I'm having is that the plant keeps dropping the immature pumpkin even before the female flower opens, so I know this is not a pollination problem. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on to fix this. I'm growing in ohio. Right now my plant is probably 20-25 ft long in the christmas tree pattern. I can take pics if needed.

applestar
Mod

Is it getting enough water?

...also, check for pests -- sucking insects, bugs or slugs, etc. that may be affecting the blossom. I haven't really noticed this with squash and pumpkins, but I know peppers will drop blossoms from aphids sucking on the flower stem.

Rberry1911
Newly Registered

Yeah weve had like 18 straight days of rain here.. Ive been checkin for bugs ill look more closely to make sure thanks for the response.

Rberry1911
Newly Registered

This is how big they are getting and then falling off
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know much about pumpkins, have never had room to grow them. But in general, blossom drop (as in tomatoes and peppers) is a sign of stress. The plant drops the blossoms/ potential fruit to focus on survival.

Kinds of stress that can lead to blossom drop include:

Soil temperatures and/or night time temperatures too cool for them, below 60 deg F.

Cucurbits are warm weather crops, but still it can get too hot for them. Once daytime temps get well into the 90's and/or night temps well into the 70's, it can start to stress them, especially if it is also dry.

A sudden shift from hot spell to cool temperatures.

Low soil moisture as a result of drought or lack of irrigation or too much wet-dry cycles. Use compost in the soil and mulch to help maintain consistent moisture.

Too much soil moisture as a result of rain. If summer rain is frequent, plant in well-draining raised beds or grow plants on mounds.

Too much nitrogen in the soil. Excess nitrogen can cause rapid, succulent growth and disrupt a plant’s metabolism. Avoid high nitrogen soil additives such as bloodmeal and fresh manures. Use low nitrogen fertilizers such a weak compost tea or side-dress plants with aged compost, a balanced soil amendment.

OR too little nitrogen and other nutrients.

Planting at too high of a density (closer spacings), especially with high nitrogen, can cause excessive foliage and increased shading that will limit early fruit sets.

What do you think; any of this ringing any bells?

Rberry1911
Newly Registered

Could be a few....I know that it has plenty of room but the vines are close together I will look into getting them away from eachother and maybe too much nitrogen as I have been using a nitrogen fertilizer. Thanks for the suggestions hopefully I can correct this.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”