Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Re: How is your rhubarb doing?

I don't think it would hurt at this stage to fertilize yours Jal. I think rhubarb is a heavy feeder. I've been tossing a couple of handfuls of all purpose fertilizer around mine every, maybe 3 weeks.

It was growing like crazy, seems to be coming back now too after being ravaged by whatever pest didn't get the memo about the leaves being poisonous! :)

Free Zucchini

jal_ut wrote: Do you think I have killed it? Should I dig around it and fertilize?
Try using a liquid fertilizer with water.

jasonvanorder

I know I'm bumping an old thread but just wanted to see if anyone else's rhubarb is this big. An older guy I work with has been growing it for the last 40+ years and never saw anything like ours. These were transplanted here about 15-17 years ago.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Gadzooks! (as they say) Mine is doing better since I moved it away from the clutches of the javelina, but nothing like that! I was going to say by this weekend I'll have enough for my 2nd pie this season, but now I feel somewhat foolish... :oops:

Just curious, are the stalks edible when it gets that big?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

jasonvanorder: That is awesome. Thanks for sharing the photo.

jasonvanorder

Taiji wrote:Gadzooks! (as they say) Mine is doing better since I moved it away from the clutches of the javelina, but nothing like that! I was going to say by this weekend I'll have enough for my 2nd pie this season, but now I feel somewhat foolish... :oops:

Just curious, are the stalks edible when it gets that big?

I only like rhubarb in pies but as far as that goes I cant taste the difference. The only thing we do to help it grow is till in A LOT of rabbit manure (kids have about 18-20 bunnies) and cut it back and cover it with leaves in the fall. If the tomatoes do as good this year as in the past those plants will be huge too. So far anything that has been planted has done great except for garlic. But I think that was because I planted it early this spring instead of last fall (fist time growing and didnt know better) So will try that again planting this fall and see what happens

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”