Jethrobodeen1581

Transplant shock in my pepper?

2015-06-29 13.16.35.jpg
I transplanted this bell pepper about a week ago and today it looks like this. Is this just transplant shock, and if so, should I put it in a little bit of shade so it can recover?

Jethrobodeen1581

They're is plenty of drainage holes on the bottom and sides of the bucket. I put it and my catnip in the shade because they were bother planted and the same time and doing the same thing and the catnip looks a little better now

applestar
Mod

Where are you located? Peppers tend to do better with a bit of shade anyway even here in NJ. If you are further south, then I suspect more so. Remember that it gets hotter in the bucket.

Even after it settles in, you may need to provide a bit of shade for the container.

If you are further north, then I have found that peppers do better in containers but need extra feeding and watering. It's hard to get nice thick walls on bell peppers.

Soj
Newly Registered

What's in that bucket? It looks overwatered. Overwatering can cause wilting. I suspect that you have a perched water table in that bucket - take some wicking material - like one strand from a CLEAN mop - and stuff it up into one of the drainage holes using a chopstick or something similar. I wouldn't be surprised if it starts draining once its wicked.

Jethrobodeen1581

I think it was overwatering. I'll give the wick thing a try though also

Soj
Newly Registered

The medium in the bucket can make a difference, too. I've found that its much harder to maintain even moisture in those 5 gallon buckets - I don't use them any more. You want an extre-free draining mix in them. If you used bagged potting mix or something high in peat, its probably not nearly free draining enough.

I don't have a suggestion for what would work in a bucket like that. My not-brief-enough experimentation with "gritty mix" and "5-1-1" was a failure, and I don't have results for any of the mixes I'm trying now.

Try the wick thing and see if it doesn't drain out that perched water table. I think poking it up in there 6" or 7" ought to do the trick. I think one ought to be enough.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”