Cwc35
Newly Registered

Transplant large cucumber plants???

I planted a few too manycucumber plantsin a small bed. They are growing but not producing much and taking over everything else in the garden. Can I dig up oneor 2 of them and replant without destroying them?

kayjay
Green Thumb

They don't like to be transplanted, and I'd be worried that when digging them up, you'd damage the roots of the neighbors. :O You might just want to sacrifice a few and cut the stems at soil level.

I dunno, can you post a pic and we can see how close together they are? Are they growing vertically up a trellis? I have very little space and my seemingly-crowded cukes still produced pretty well last year. They were pretty forgiving.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I have 1/2 of one trellis devoted to slicing cucumbers and the other half is smaller, pickling cucumbers and those plants are about 6 inches apart along the trellis. I'm getting cucumbers out my ears right now in both varieties and have put up almost a dozen quarts of both regular and bread and butter pickles and have used or given away many of the slicing variety.

Like mentioned, cukes don't like transplanting, so do like kayjay said and simply cut the stems of the crowded plants if you want to give them more room.

Cwc35
Newly Registered

Here r a few pics. As you can see the leaves are slightly discolored and the are growing into my eggplant
Attachments
image.jpg

Cwc35
Newly Registered

Another pic
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I would clip off or move the vine growing into the eggplant. When you plant vining plants close to other plants, you do have to spend extra time/effort to prune and train them. (I do this all the time :> )

Cwc35
Newly Registered

Thank you.
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It would be harder to do now, but next time trellis them so they grow vertically instead of sprawl.

mrmchoohaa
Newly Registered

I'm experiencing exactly this issue. I planted entirely too many seedlings in a 24-ish gallon half barrel, and now that they are all fairly well-grown, I'm not getting fruit production (squash and cukes). The leaves are also obviously lacking nutrition from the crowding.

The question I have is .. Is it now too late to do anything since all of the roots are intertwined? I would think that sacrificing a few still wouldn't make a difference because of the roots being fully grown.

So disappointed with myself!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”