gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Mislabled seed packets URRRGGGHHH

I wanted to put in more green beans and did so a few weeks ago. I picked up 2 packets of bush beans to keep me in beans since my pole beans seem to be played out and were pulled today and new seeds planted along that trellis. Wouldn't you know it, the bush beans are pole beans with long spindly growth and sending out long stems reaching for the imaginary trellis in my rows.

Don't know about you folks, but I hate when that happens. Glad it happens so seldom so that it's not the end of the world. Now, to chance getting more bush bean seeds to see if they will actually grow bush beans.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Not that this will help you in the moment, but if I were you I'd contact the seed company/vendor & let them know. There are SO many seed vendors out there these days & competition is so strong that I've yet to come across one that won't try to make things right for a customer. Whether that's a refund, replacement, or certificate for some free seed packs for next season - something is better than nothing.

imafan26
Mod

You can usually get a refund from the store if the seeds turned out to be something else. I have done that when I ended up with an empty packet or seeds were definitely not the right ones. I bought a pack of pepper seeds that turned out to be bitter melon. They are obviously different seeds. I try to feel the packets first to make sure there are seeds in it and it won't help me much if the tomato seeds are the wrong variety, but since I buy most of those seeds online and not from a store, I have not had problems getting my money back or having them send me new seeds. Burpee even sent me new Yellow Brandywine seeds because other customers had complained about the red tomatoes they got and so they just sent new seeds and a letter to everyone who bought the seeds from them, even the ones like me who did not complain.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Yes - Burpee is extremely good in this area.

One year I ordered Cayenne pepper seeds from Burpee, & before I had even sown them Burpee sent me a new pack along with a letter saying that I had accidentally been originally sent Yellow Cayenne. It ended up fun since I was able to plant both (both very colorful, hot, & flavorful by the way).

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

GardeningCook wrote:Yes - Burpee is extremely good in this area.

One year I ordered Cayenne pepper seeds from Burpee, & before I had even sown them Burpee sent me a new pack along with a letter saying that I had accidentally been originally sent Yellow Cayenne. It ended up fun since I was able to plant both (both very colorful, hot, & flavorful by the way).

These are Burpee seeds since I still have a few left in one of the two packets I used to plant them. I'll shoot them an e-mail to let them know they mislabeled their product. I don't want anything from them, just to let them know they need to step up quality control a bit. Not sure how much good it will do, but it may make me feel a bit better. :> :>

applestar
Mod

Hope you get the bush beans you need -- bush and pole bean characteristics are so different that the way I plant, there's almost no way one can be grown in a space planned for the other. :roll:

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

I feel your pain. Believe it or not, I planted pole beans and got bush beans this year! Annoying!

imafan26
Mod

I planted mystery seed. They are bush beans but I don't know what kind. The seeds were at the bottom of one of my seed bags.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

j3707 wrote:I feel your pain. Believe it or not, I planted pole beans and got bush beans this year! Annoying!

Ah, so I'm not the only unfortunate one of the group. What bothers me is I have some very healthy pole beans now growing where there should be bush beans with absolutely no support for them. It kills me to pull such healthy plants, but it has to be done and the row replanted.

Good thing my yard longs are just starting to produce nice beans and they are very heavy producers, but the problem with them is they don't pickle well. They have to be cut to fit the jars and then become a bit leathery when placed in the brine---not near as tender as traditional green beans.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

We love green beans here...we mainly eat them lightly sauteed with butter, salt and pepper. I tried pickling some a couple years back, but it just didn't click for me. Probably just need more practice. Pickled beans sure sound tasty!

kayjay
Green Thumb

Could it be an issue with the variety itself? I had the same thing happen with my peas. They're (supposed to be?) Little Marvel, which is a dwarf/bush. One plant is indeed a bush and the other four are vining. Like, they're 4' tall and I have to keep adding twine to my fence in a rather unattractive trellis. (At least they're against the fence.) Anyway, I googled around and a lot of other people have said the same thing about their Little Marvel plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”