NewCanuckGardener

Oh dear, I have made a lettuce mistake!

So, in my naivety, I planted approximately a million lettuce seeds, and when nothing would sprout after a week, I would plant more. I tried not to over water, buy I have obviously had some puddling, because now I have this:
lettuce small.jpg
How should I go about thinning these? I have 5 or so of these clumps. I have since learned the magic of seed tape, and so shall not make this mistake again!

Also, unrelated to lettuce, is this a carrot sprout?
carrot.jpg
Thanks for the continued advice everyone - it's greatly appreciated!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

No worries. I don't think there's really a "lettuce mistake" - lol!

If you planted & were counting on heading lettuces, then yes, you should try to thin them a bit. But if you want what's commonly known as "cut-&-come-again" lettuce, then just let them grow on & cut them when they're large enough for salad use.

As far as the stray sprout - yes, it does look like a carrot.

applestar
Mod

One way to separate those lettuce clumps is to take a knife and straight/diagonally down cut a deep wedge out. Fill the spot with loose soil and plant that wedge of smaller group in another location.

....I'm not seeing a carrot sprout there. Carrot sprout starts as a pair of very narrow seedleaves that almost look like grass. I also see crabgrass and perhaps marigold seedling.... Possibly a beet/chard seedling... At least one clover seedling.......

NewCanuckGardener

Thanks for the replies!

I threw two kinds of lettuce in there, Buttercrunch, and Anuenue. Apparently that last one is a head lettuce but also can be used as "cut & come again". I think I shall try to move a few anyway just for better spacing.

And the carrot sprouts are very weird.. some seem to start with grass like leaves, but some don't.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Just to touch a bit more on what Applestar said, lettuce is a pretty hearty plant and takes to transplanting quite well with little loss if done with care. I often get clusters of lettuce sprouting and will do similar to what was said. I'll separate them and plant them about 6 inches of all-around spacing and they grow well like that for me.

Just be sure to water them in when done transplanting and keep the ground moist until they show signs of getting stronger with no wilting. I'm envious since my lettuce is now long gone and won't be back in my garden until sometime in September due to our nasty hot and humid weather this far down south.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”