mycatnola

asparagus crowns -- plant now or store until next spring?

I bought some asparagus crowns just recently I did not get a chance to plant them can I store them until next spring if so how do I do that

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't try storing them for a year. I would go ahead and still plant them now. Earlier would have been better, but you weren't going to harvest any asparagus this year anyway. They should still have time to make spears and fronds, to feed the roots for next year.

You didn't say anything about where you are located though. There are hardly any garden questions that can be answered without regard to location and climate. So whether it is still workable to plant them depends somewhat on where you are. The longer growing season you have, the more workable to plant them now. If you are in Minneapolis, MN with a first frost date in Sept., then it may not have enough time to get well established...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would definitely plant it now.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

DITTO RBG - plant now and please update your profile to include your county and state. Information about your local will help the forum members give you more accurate information.

mycatnola

hello there sorry about not leaving anything about where I live anyway I live in northwest Oklahoma I think its zone 7b anyway I was wanting to know if I could store my asparagus crowns for next spring I did not get them planted in time

applestar
Mod

If you try to store them they will dry up. They need to get in the ground and start setting down roots. Hopefully it's not too late In THAT sense. Have you opened the package and inspected them?

mycatnola

no I have not done that I well do that thanks for the reply

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”