Jethrobodeen1581

Should I try to save this cucumber plant?

So I haven't had the best day today. I'm in zone 8 and it started raining a little bit earlier, and I didnt think anything of it. I have several vegetables in 5 gallon buckets, and soon it was raining and hailing. And I mean pouring hail. So I ran out and saved all of my plants by putting them on my porch that is covered. My cucumber, however, is growing up a few stakes so I couldn't just move that one and honestly when I was done saving all of the others the damage was done. So my question is should I even try to save this cucumber plant that has been in the bucket for a little over 2 weeks, or should I just try again? Most of the stems are broken. And also, while it is still storming like crazy, would it be okay to leave my plants under my porch until tomorrow when the storms are gone?
Attachments
20150601_160117.jpg
20150601_160136.jpg

applestar
Mod

I would give it a day and see what stands back up and what wilts, then after cutting off the wilted parts, assess the situation.

I think your plants will be fine on the porch. Good luck! :D

Jethrobodeen1581

I hope it will be okay I was looking forward to my cucumbers. I have dwarf plants too but they won't produce as much as this one. Will the vines continue from where they were broken?

applestar
Mod

Cucumber will make branch vines so you should be OK as far as that goes.

Once you can see what's what, I would make clean cuts of the broken ones, and maybe start spraying with diluted milk solution since in its weakened state, it might be susceptible to fungal diseases.

I like using 1 part milk and 7 parts de-chlorinated water with 1-2 Tbs of yogurt or sourcream whey/clear liquid.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”