digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: What are you harvesting? Spring-Summer, 2015

IMG_20150822_034153.jpg
IMG_20150822_034153.jpg (23.31 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Succession plantings of cucumbers in sweet onions and zucchini in broccoli.

Steve

applestar
Mod

SUCCESSFUL succession planting then, @digit'S? :clap:

I'm "harvesting" Monarch butterfly caterpillars. The technique used is not unlike picking beans and peas -- bend and look under the leaves, hold a stem and flop over one way and then the other way.... :wink:

Subject: 2015 Saving Monarch Butterflies By Raising Caterpillars
applestar wrote:Look, look, look !!! :-()

I mentioned elsewhere that I had seen Monarch butterflies flitting around in the garden -- one each day a few to several days ago. And today when I was checking under the common milkweed leaves, I FOUND SOME OF THE BABIES!!! Image

[...]
I keep them in the family room where we can keep an eye on them. After they molt to 5th instar, they are put in a special cage so they can climb to the top of the container and make their chrysalis for the final stage of their metamorphosis. At indoor temperatures they stay in the chrysalis for approx 11-13 days then eclose into a butterfly. I label the chrysalises with a sticker on the topside of where they are attached with date and sequential number which makes it easier to predict the next one to eclose and when.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:... SUCCESSFUL succession planting then, @digit'S? :clap:
Yep :). Sorry about the darkness of the photo. It kind of reflects our smoke-filled neighborhoods, houses, cars, clothing ... I didn't see the sun, yesterday afternoon!

Yep, harvesting sweet onions and broccoli began in July. The squash and zucchini transplants went in, right in the middle of the beds. The broccoli was in a bit of a holding pattern but is gone now. The onions closest to the cucumbers were pulled first. None remain that aren't now flat on the ground -- meanwhile, the cucumber vines are merrily trailing off the beds.

Steve

applestar
Mod

I harvested 7-1/2 POUNDS of tomatoes (I zeroed the scale for the 2 gal bucket and the bowl before weighing) just from today. :shock: :()
image.jpg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Filled a bucket with zucchini, a couple crooknecks and a handfull of green peppers. Early corn is gone, the next crop not quite ready. I have carrots.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Cleaned out the Aquaponics Jungle today. That's one Black Cherry tom sprawling everywhere. It was a sucker from the ones I lost in the flood so it had a late start and just now producing LOL. I will have a nice fall crop when temps drop outside.

Before

I got 3 gallon bags of freezer stock celery from the grow beds for winter soups, stews and sauces. Still lots of bells and basil left in there.

MichaelC

San Marzano tomatoes have finally started coming in. I've taken around eight pounds or so, with several pounds still green on the plants. A depressing number of them have hidden BER inside. There's no way for me to tell until I've blanched and peeled them, and cut into the blossom end with a knife. I won't be featuring this variety next year, I'll buy my plum tomatoes from the farmer's market. Matt's wild cherry is still producing a bit.

Pole beans have slowed down, I took perhaps a pound this week. Clearly they were peaking when I last posted. Still getting a few Persian cucumbers.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
SUCCESSFUL succession planting then, @digit'S? :clap:
The 1st succession sowing of green beans. They followed the spring lettuce. And, yield was more than a shopping bag full ... so far :).

What followed the peas will need another week or so. They should have it. Survivors. That bed of beans has already come back from the going-over Benjamin Bunny gave it!

Bok choy that followed the early carrots is ready!

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”