jsauer7978
Newly Registered

Squash end rot

I've found 2 of these so far. They seem to be rotting at the end of the squash. Is this a lack of calcium. They receive plenty of water and fertilizer. Should I add some lime? Maybe the pH is to low or high. Not sure. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Attachments
20150531_142500.jpg

catgrass
Green Thumb

Looks like blossom end rot to me. Yes, lack of calcium. Either add fast-acting lime to your soil, and/or get some calcium nitrate from your garden center to spray on your plants. Big box stores don't carry it.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

You didn't mention how long you've had the plants in the ground. Are they transplants from starts? Each year right after planting the squash transplants into the garden, they get a spurt of BER. To date, it has passed without our doing anything to modify or change things and then we get more yellow squash than we know what to do with. I think its because the plants get stressed when they get transplanted and once they adjust they are fine.

I've not tried the things Catgrass mentions but I've heard they can be helpful.

jsauer7978
Newly Registered

I've had them planted in the ground since May 1st. I grew them from seed and then transplanted them. There huge and look very healthy. I was looking in there today and noticed 3 or 4 more that have done the same thing. I guess I will try some lime. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”