SentencedToBurn
Newly Registered

Lettuce harvesting

Hi guys

Probably a stupid question but I only grew lettuce to suck nitrates out of my aquaponic system, and when it came time to harvest it I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

I have a bunch of these Cos lettuces growing around the edges of my aquaponic beds, I keep cutting the leaves from the sides and it keeps growing. One of them is over a foot tall. Do I just keep harvesting it until it breaks due to own height? Or should I just chop it and plant out new ones? I tried searching online but I'm struggling to find much on "Cos lettuce" but that's the name that was on the packet. It's not a big deal, I have a few more seeds started in case I need to rip the old ones out but thought I better check just in case they can be harvested for a while, or if I need to stake them up, etc.

Here is the tallest one I have:

imafan26
Mod

Usually romaine lettuce will mature in about 70 days. While cutting leaves off a few at a time extends the harvest, eventually you need to pull them out. It looks like it is time. Pull out the roots too otherwise lettuce will try to regrow but it is usually going to be small and bitter.

SentencedToBurn
Newly Registered

Oh so Cos lettuce and romaine lettuce is the same thing? awesome thanks! cool will do. will harvest the rest of the leaves and will plant the new seedlings.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”